Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Extractor tuning ??

Broncman

Most set up the extractor the Don B way as that is the correct way to do it. Perfect ejection ,cases not touching the bottom of mount ,can be very elusive. I have three open guns that have 50,000 rounds ea thru them and brass has never touched the mount. Ejector shape, extractor tuning and deflection is a challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

Two matches now and one stove pipe and one mag issue. Better but not 100%.

So I have a brand new MBX 170 and a tuned Brazos ejector. MBX loaded to 29rds has zero gaps between bullets and the Brazos extended ejector looks really good . Had an Ed Brown ejector that was supposed to be extended but is actually pretty short.

Going to range today.

Have 5 full mags ran through it so far no issues. A match will be the true test. That will be Saturday if weather holds.

I really like the ejector so far. It is long! I seat my 9 Major loads long and a 38 Super might not clear an unfired round.

The bevel cut on the inside clears the magazine and the next round.

Should have done it sooner.

Gun ran perfect for the whole match yesterday! So nice to not have any equipment issues.

Placed very well, third in open, 8th overall out of 75 shooters. 

No ejection issues, no mag issues and the great thing was with 9 Major I could leave the brass on the ground! Too damn hot to crawl around looking for brass.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, zzt said:

B, it is possible the extractor is not the problem.  I have a well tuned Aftec and I get stovepipes sometimes.  There are two things I can do to cause stovepipe jams.  One is I tend to ride the thumb safety and sometimes my thumb touches the slide.  Instant stovepipe.  Other times my grip is weakened, as in shooting around an obstacle.  The 'limp wrist' slows down the slide and I get a stovepipe.

My Open gun wears a frame mounted Slideride.  So the ejector is configured to throw the brass out and down to clear the sight mount.  Even with a lowered ejection port there is not much margin for error.  Anything that slows the slide down causes a stovepipe.

I know this is old, but thanks!