Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Interesting Magazine Observation

Sig0431

I contacted Springer Precision today and asked if they were planning to release any magwells for the X-five Grip. They informed me that at this time there is no plan to make these. So I began working with my new X-five grip and magazines with SP basepads to see where I would need to remove material in order for the mags to fit with the X-Five magwell. I came upon something interesting. 

I have 5 new magazines for use with 40s&w. 4 are made in the USA and 1 is made in Italy. Upon inserting each magazine I noticed that the 4 magazines made in the USA had no issues fitting the X-Five grip, with magwell and the SP basepads. The 1 magazine made in Italy did not fit. Upon inspecting the magazines side by side I noticed that the mag release notch in the magazine from Italy is noticeably lower that the mags made in the USA. The following picture are the mags side by side with the basepads. You can see the difference in the mag release cutout clearly (USA mag on right). 

IMG_20180409_131937.thumb.jpg.1de298b941a270db6f0d1da98b638855.jpg

I then went and took a look at my magazines I that I have in 9mm both from the USA and from Italy and the same differences was present in these as well. I have owned these mags for years now. So now I am wondering:

1. Can I bring this issue up to Sig and see if they will replace my Italy mags with USA mags since the Italy mags are obviously different 

2. Do I file out the top of the mag catch on the Italy mags enough at the top to allow them to fit in the grip?

Lesson learned here, if you have SP basepads and USA mags, you should not need to order a new set of basepads with the X-five cut as they should fit the X-five grip. Also if you did not notice in the picture there is a difference in the followers as well between the two mags. I my brass does catch the front lip of the mag on the USA mags but not the Italy one, this is a simple filing job to fix but there is obviously a fair amount of difference in these two Sig branded mags. 

Talked to Sig today about these magazines. They stated that this is not unusual and that all magazines made in Italy are being phased out as they move all manufacturing to the USA. They also let me know that there would be no issue that they would be aware of with taking a file to the top part of the mag release notch to open the area up enough to allow the mag release to catch. I will work on this over the weekend and hope all goes well.

To me, that looks like a bad comparison.

Take the mags apart and then compare the bodies and see where the notch is.  The problem could be the base pad, in the retaining groove and the top.

Edited by RePete

Using the very unscientific method of holding a ruler up to the screen, the top of both mags appears to be 6mm from the top of the catch hole, +/- 0.5mm.  I agree it could have something to do with how the basepads mate with the mag bodies.  Mec-gar mags (the "Made in Italy" mags) have been used extensively in the 320 line, and exclusively for the 250 line (which uses the same mags), without issues.  Now, I don't know whether Mec-gar made any of the factory mags for the 320 X5, so it could be that Checkmate changed a little something on the way to making those.

9 hours ago, RePete said:

To me, that looks like a bad comparison.

Take the mags apart and then compare the bodies and see where the notch is.  The problem could be the base pad, in the retaining groove and the top.

I did compare them without the base pads and had the same results just did not think to take pictures, as well Sig also said that this is normal. Keep in mind that these mags have no issues with any P320, they only case an issue with using the SP basepads and the new X-five magwell. If I use these mags in my older P320 grip with SP magwell there is no issues. This is why I named this "interesting observation"

I will try and post some images of the mags next to each other without the base pads tonight. There is also the chance that I just received a bad mag and no one else has this issue when they compare theirs.

37 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

What about the frame weight attached to your X5? Info please!

I don't have a lot of info that I feel comfortable passing to the community as I am still working with it. It is made by SJC. They make these for glocks as well. I am still testing the benefits and do not have any solid results that I have compiled. The other aspect that I am working is a holster. You can get a custom kydex holster made for it if you remove the thumb rest but with the thumb rest you have to use a speed holster. The only company that makes a speed holster for the P320 is DAA. After speaking with them their holster will not work with the frame weight even with modifications. I have been modifying a Guga Ribas holster and have it working for the P320 grip, I am now working on the X-Five grip. Alma Cole is also testing out this frame weight as well Max Michel received one and he is testing to see if he can make something work with his DAA X5 holster. There is a chance that other speed holsters like the safariland 014 or CR Speed will fit the P320 trigger guard but I do not have access to other holsters and really don't have the funds to buy $200 holsters just to test if the P320 will fit.

Really it is going to come down to cost vs performance gains. You will spend about $140 for the frame weight then have to spend an additional $150+ for a new holster that you may have to modify so the gains will have to be worth the cost.

Once I have some solid information and results from shooting in both .40 and 9mm I will start a thread. I may start a small thread to see if anyone with a P320 also owns race holsters for their other pistols so I can find out what may fit.

Edited by Sig0431

Ah, I thought it looked similar to the one SJC makes for Glocks, now I know why. Very neat, thank you for sharing the info you did! Please make sure to keep us updated on it as you're allowed to release more info

ETA: Well, quick bit of googling and it looks like it's available on SJC's website already;

http://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-p320-sig-frame-weight/

Edited by Rudukai13

3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Ah, I thought it looked similar to the one SJC makes for Glocks, now I know why. Very neat, thank you for sharing the info you did! Please make sure to keep us updated on it as you're allowed to release more info

ETA: Well, quick bit of googling and it looks like it's available on SJC's website already;

http://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-p320-sig-frame-weight/

I am not held back by any restriction, I just have not had time to really test this. They have been available for a few months now just not many people running them or know about them.