Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell Plate Tightening Up

Hi folks, I seem to be having a minor problem with my 550B and wanted to ask the experts. I figure it's due for some sort of problem since it's been running flawlessly since 1987 :)

As I am reloading, the center black bolt that holds the shell plate seems to gradually tighten up over the course of 20 rounds or so. It will get to the point where I can't rotate the shell plate anymore, so I just back it off with my fingers and then all is well for a little while.

Since this is just a bolt that threads down into the press, how do I fix this? Is there a locking nut somewhere that could be broken or something?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Look at your Dillon 550b Instruction Manual that came with your press

On page 7 you will see a heading (righthand column) entitled "To Begin Reloading." This section and relevant photos continue on pages 8 and 9 of the manual.

This will explain the reason for your problem and how to resolve it.

Here is the link to the Instruction Manual:  http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon Manual PDFs/Dillon-RL550B-September-2010.pdf

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Edited by mpssrh

Look at your Dillon 550b Instruction Manual that came with your press
On page 7 you will see a heading (righthand column) entitled "To Begin Reloading." This section and relevant photos continue on pages 8 and 9 of the manual.
This will explain the reason for your problem and how to resolve it.
Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Oh. That's what that little screw is for. Online manual saves the day. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

You ran since 87 and didn’t know about the set screw?

It happens. 

I got my 550 in 1986 and never needed to change the shell plate until a few years ago.  Plum forgot about that set screw.  Was ready to put a cheater bar on that black screw but decided to pull up the manual online first.  Glad I did.  :rolleyes: