Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight difference between calibers

GammaRat

Hi guys,

New to the site, and am interested in a IDPA/USPSA pistol in 40 s&w.  I'm eagerly awaiting the new IFG Limited Pros.

Since I've never had to worry about the size or weight requirements, I haven't kept up with the issue.  I understand the LimPro is IDPA legal for the 9mm, but wasn't sure if it makes weight for the 40s&w.  It appears that the new LimPro just barely makes weight.  1216gm or 42.89oz. per the "New IFG “LimPro” update" thread.

My question is more of a general question, because we don't have the two different pistols to weigh yet. 

Is there a significant difference in weight between a 9mm and a 40s&w in the same pistol model?

Edited by GammaRat

Theoretically the 9 weighs more than the 40 because the OD of the barrel is the same, but the 40 has a bigger bore hole.  Using some simplified math and 0.283 pounds per cubic inch for the barrel steel, I figure the 9mm should weigh 0.217 oz more than the 40.

3 hours ago, GammaRat said:

Well I imagine a  larger and thicker walled barrel will be the case for a LimPro in 40sw.  

42.89oz for the 9mm is very close to IDPA's 43oz limit.  My guess is the 40 won't make weight

The 40 should be slightly lighter. That's how it is with my stock 2 for the reasons posted above

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Theoretically the 9 weighs more than the 40 because the OD of the barrel is the same, but the 40 has a bigger bore hole.  Using some simplified math and 0.283 pounds per cubic inch for the barrel steel, I figure the 9mm should weigh 0.217 oz more than the 40.

Exactly correct.  The 9mm is the heaviest caliber because the outer barrel dimensions are identical.