Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mags for factory ammo in Tanfo Limited .40 in 2018

jmleenz

I picked up a new Tanfo Limited 40 back in 2009 (large frame). I don't reload so I was running factory length ammo which led to jam central (mainly nose dive FTFs). At the time the reliability of the limited 40s was a known issue. I was running the tanfo chrome 40 mags with henning 141 basepads and grams internals. I gave up on it so the pistol has sat dormant in the safe ever since. What a shame since it is such a nice handling pistol. I would like the get this pistol out of mothballs as from what I 'm seeing on the forums there are new magazine options and the problem might have been resolved. 

My questions is this: What magazine setup (20-21 round 140mm) can I run FACTORY LENGTH ammo with max reliability? Henning (mec-gar based) + basepads? MBX? something else? Please help resurrect my LC 40! 

From what I've read, I believe back in 2009 the main culprit in reliability for the Limited were the followers on the mags. I shoot a 2015 manufactured Limited using mecgar K40 mags and have no issues at all with any type of factory ammo. I can't speak to 140mm mags setup, I'm stuck in mag restricted state. I would try a mecgar mag to get her going again.

Buy K40 mags, henning basepads, grams kits (he improved them since 2009).

Cycle a few full mags to get them to set. You might need to chamfer the edges of the extensions to ensure smooth motion.  but that's it. Load, shoot,  repeat.

The old mags should be relegated to DF only duty (or crushed lol).

2 hours ago, jmleenz said:

100% reliable with factory ammo or do you handload long? 

Ultra long handloads for .40 are a 2011 thing, in order to get the guns to feed reliably.

I don’t know that you’ll see a Tanfoglio owner doing that - for one, they magazines won’t tolerate the insanely long OALs that STI/SVI tubes will.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Ultra long handloads for .40 are a 2011 thing, in order to get the guns to feed reliably.

I don’t know that you’ll see a Tanfoglio owner doing that - for one, they magazines won’t tolerate the insanely long OALs that STI/SVI tubes will.

Thanks for the info, and that is great news. Back in 2009 Tanfo guys were all loading long too ~1.175 OAL. Henning himself recommended running long in the limited to prevent nose dives. Some guys even preferred the 10mm mags for this reason. So if you didn't hand load you were kinda screwed. Again, this was all pre Mec-gar magazine days so it appears this issue has been resolved. 

• 5 weeks later...