Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inspecting Brass

camaross400

I currently check each piece of brass before loading and case gauge every round after loading.

I use a Hundo 100 round case gauge for 9mm and 45 and am looking into a 100 rounder by Tooth and Nail Armory for 223.

Do I need to do both? Will a case gauge catch brass case cracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell brass is cracked (if I don't catch it when sorting/trimming) when it goes through the resizing die or the expander die.  I use a single stage press though, so it's quieter and easier to see/hear/feel it when somethings not quite right.

17 hours ago, ChuckS said:

grab a handful of brass and shake it. Cracked cases sing out!

This is true.

I get most of my brass from an indoor range, so there's definitely a different sound when there's a cracked case rolling on the concrete with the good cases.

IMHO, you can never over-inspect. I also run 100% of my loads through the Hondo gauge, and I also check 10% of my loads for COAL (the first column of 10 out of 100 rounds on the Hondo gauge). The more times you handle the brass, the longer and more tedious, but it helps to cull the bad brass.

I have had several cracked cases fail in the 9mm Hondo gauge in the last year or so, but I am not sure that I would trust 100% of cracks to be caught. Maybe so, but I don't have enough data to say definitively.