Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Measurements

arblacksmith

I just received my Square Deal "B" reloader and I am trying to reload my ammo to an OAL of 1.272. Currently, the tolerances are plus or minus .003. How critical is these tolerances in terms of accuracy? I really like my Square Deal and the only problems that I have had is in the area of seating primers and I think I have that problem corrected.

you will love your square deal :wub: , as for the primer make sure the machine is rock solid on the bench, and press forward firmly when seating primers, I had the same problem, good luck :) I load mine out 1.25 and it runs good in both my springfields (1911 style)

The SDB is a good press, its what I use. I seat my 45's anywhere from 1.240 - 1.260 depending on if LRN or Jacketed RN...you can easily get primers well below flush on a SDB.

During primer seating while on the handle upstroke you can feel when the primer just starts into the pocket, when it gets to that point I kinda use a quick snapping push to finish seating the primer and you can feel the primer bottom out in the pocket well below flush.

Suggested OAL for .45 is 1.250. This lenght will normally feed well in any single stack or hi-cap .45. (Assuming the gun is set up correctly.) If OAL is 1.26 or higher it can get stuck in Para-Ord mags (and maybe STI).

1 and a quarter is the desireable OAL as GuildSF4 says. With the venerable .45 auto cartridge and it's generous case capacity, coupled with lower operating pressures, the OAL varying a little will not effect the velocity very much at all in comparison to a major 9 loading. As long as they are in a .01 range, you are good to go with the .45 ACP.

--

Regards,

Plus or minus three thousandths is WELL within tollerances.  Of course you want everything as consistent as possible but I think you are fine with your current setup.

John

John,

Until I become much more efficient, I measure each and everyone of my finished products to ensure I don't exceed the maximum OAL. I still have my rockchucker mounted to take care of such problems.

The SDB is a good press, its what I use. I seat my 45's anywhere from 1.240 - 1.260 depending on if LRN or Jacketed RN...you can easily get primers well below flush on a SDB.

During primer seating while on the handle upstroke you can feel when the primer just starts into the pocket, when it gets to that point I kinda use a quick snapping push to finish seating the primer and you can feel the primer bottom out in the pocket well below flush.

Roboman,

My bench is rock solid and your tip about seating the primer is much appreciated.

Lloyd

Your Welcome Lloyd, I've found that seating approach works best for me as I have to make sure all my 45acp primers are seated solid or my Revolver will not set the primers off.

I'm also fortunate that I have a 4year old automatic case feeder for my SDB, LOL :D ......she sits on my right and loves to load the casings in station 1 for me.