Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to resolve smashed primer on 1050

What is the most effective efficient procedure when a primer is smashed (or something just doesn't feel right) in a 1050?  especially when a small primer 45 case gets thru and the primer is stuck in halfway and prevents rotation of the plate.  Assuming the primer has not ignited at this point. I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but I cant find it.  Thanks.

the more detail and pics the better.  I am new at this.

If your swager is set correctly a small primer 45 will lock up the press or at a minimum give you a heads up from the amount of force needed to complete the cycle. Be aware of your pull force. Do you feel the lack of force needed when a 380 slips through an you size it?? Hardly any force. Train yourself to be aware. The press gives you feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, like oteroman says, use the swage feature as a failsafe. This is especially important if you are using the Dillon sizing die as it sometimes fails to decap the case. The swage rod will come up against the un-capped case and you'll feel it.

If you get a primer stuck sideways in the slide then you'll have to take the priming system apart. I've done it enough times now that I'm reasonably quick about it, plus it's a good opportunity to brush the crud out of everything.

Hands down, the Super 1050 is the greatest thing going.

Edited by MikieM

11 hours ago, MikieM said:

Yes, like oteroman says, use the swage feature as a failsafe. This is especially important if you are using the Dillon sizing die as it sometimes fails to decap the case. The swage rod will come up against the un-capped case and you'll feel it.

If you get a primer stuck sideways in the slide then you'll have to take the priming system apart. I've done it enough times now that I'm reasonably quick about it, plus it's a good opportunity to brush the crud out of everything.

Hands down, the Super 1050 is the greatest thing going.

I have a S1050 and have to say that it's ALMOST the greatest thing going.  Mark7 Evolution with the primer collator I believe wins.

Not going to get rid of my 1050, but there exists high levels of want for the Evo around here :D

16 hours ago, SMSI said:

There is

a lot of small primer 45 brass out there. 

Which is why I process all my brass (9 and 45).  Makes the reloading process sooooo much smoother.  I can process 45 at about 2600 cases per hour on my 1050 with AmmoBot.  The new Rev3 runs even quiter and faster.  

9 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

I have a S1050 and have to say that it's ALMOST the greatest thing going.  Mark7 Evolution with the primer collator I believe wins.

Not going to get rid of my 1050, but there exists high levels of want for the Evo around here :D

Oh, a button pusher, eh? :lol: I'd really like to have one myself, but I'll have to wait until my arthritis gets so bad that I can barely hold a credit card. :o

10 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Yeah, I am waiting for some real life reviews instead of marketing fluff.  I am really getting tired of taking the primer system apart once a week on my 1050 (and then picking up all the spilled primers). Machine is down again as a matter of fact due to high primers, I need to take it apart and clean it once again (last done 4 days ago).

Are you by chance using an RF100? If so then that may be your culprit. 

For some time my RF100 would dump primers in upside down, sideways, or about any way you can stick a primer in a tube, and I too was taking the priming system on my S1050 apart almost weekly.

After figuring out what the problem was my troubles went away.