Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide width shoes with decent support and traction?

LeviSS

I really wanted the salomons to work, but the mid foot is still too narrow.  That's the place where most shoes won't fit me.

So far the Altras are the best fit.  They seem pretty well made.  They don't have the most aggressive tread of all, but it's pretty good.

I've got a pair of Saucony Excursions (only trail model to come in wide) and a pair of NB on the way.  We'll see.

Edited by LeviSS

I’ve had the wide shoe problem forever....I’ll tell ‘ya a 2E shoe will never be a 4-5E shoe !!!

The best shoe I’ve found is the New Balance Trail Shoe....second pair...aggressive tread.

I even use a shoe stretcher .....it blows....wish Salamons would make a real wide shoe...

• 3 weeks later...

Got a pair of Altra King MT. They are "foot shaped," in that the have a wide toe box. I usually wear 11.5 4E, I got the Altra in 12M. These will work. The sole has an aggressive Salomon-like cleated sole. They appear to be the most aggressive soles in the Altra line. They also have a rock guard inner sole to protect on gravel range floors. Check them out, I got mine on Amazon.