Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LnL primer seater not lining up

I just pulled 200 9mm rounds that I loaded as 1 in 10 may have had some moisture in the cases (found out the hard way). Anyway, I made a mess of my press, but cleaned it up good. When I went to start loading again, the primer seater no longer lines up properly with the press. Anybody know how to realign it? I can’t be the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turned out there was some residual powder in the primer slide not allowing it to seat properly. Once I tore it down and cleaned it thoroughly, everything was back to 100%.

Glad you found it, first place to look for priming problems.

Many put a slight bevel on the bottom front edge of the slide so it is tolerant of at least a little grime intrusion.

I have not, I keep a pile of swabs in the room and use one occasionally, compressed air/electronics duster works too, for quick fixes without teardown.

I would also suggest going into preventive blowing mode if you are getting a lot of powder spillage or see metal shavings.  (i.e.  pull the primer slide back and hit it with air).  Don't wait until you have mechanical issues as that can lead to downtime... seconds to days depending on if the bracket is damaged and if you have to wait for a new one.  I also tended to do a quick hose down every time I added primers back when I was using walnut media as there is always some carryover in or on the cases

On 2/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, Kema said:

Keep a can of air duster on a table to solve these issues.

Absolutely this.

It's surprising at how effective a few little blasts of ait every now and then can avoid the need for doing a full takedown/reassemble.

Just be careful not to blow a primer out of the primer hole (i've done it) and avoid blowing air around cases that have power in them (I've done that too!).

Absolutely this.

It's surprising at how effective a few little blasts of ait every now and then can avoid the need for doing a full takedown/reassemble.

Just be careful not to blow a primer out of the primer hole (i've done it) and avoid blowing air around cases that have power in them (I've done that too!).

[emoji1360] - removing the shell plate and all else is a PITA just to remove a bit of spilled powder.... stocking up on canned air as we speak