Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for my Akai V8 (38 Sc

Sporky

Just picked up an Akai V8 in 38 SC

I am using AA#7  ( and I have 8lbs left so i'm gonna use it ) and Precision Delta 124's.

Does anyone have a V8 and what kind of loads are they running?  I am not going to switch to VV powders it is just too damn expensive.  

It also has a Kart barrel, and I am wondering if anyone else has experiened them having a tight chamber at all.  the loads I have been using before had no trouble getting in the chamber, but this one seems a bit tight

Thanks in advance

On 1/29/2018 at 5:16 PM, Sporky said:

Just picked up an Akai V8 in 38 SC

I am using AA#7  ( and I have 8lbs left so i'm gonna use it ) and Precision Delta 124's.

Does anyone have a V8 and what kind of loads are they running?  I am not going to switch to VV powders it is just too damn expensive.  

It also has a Kart barrel, and I am wondering if anyone else has experiened them having a tight chamber at all.  the loads I have been using before had no trouble getting in the chamber, but this one seems a bit tight

Thanks in advance

Matt,

I used a Lee undersize die and never had an issue until the recoil spring wore down.  

I have any Akai V8 as well and I use to use AA#7 as well but I was shooting 115gr.  I would use 11.3 grains of AA#7 and it shot very flat.  Now I use HS6 with 9.6 grains for the 115 grains.  I switched over to HS6 because AA#7 was really dirty on the gun.  I used to use 124gr for a while but I seem to like the way my gun feels with 115gr.  I don't remember what were my loads for the 124gr. 

14 hours ago, lcs said:

Matt,

I used a Lee undersize die and never had an issue until the recoil spring wore down.  

Ordered one last night!  Thanks for the info I appreciate the info.

Anything special that I need to know when I set that new die up?

3 hours ago, ar15rick said:

I have any Akai V8 as well and I use to use AA#7 as well but I was shooting 115gr.  I would use 11.3 grains of AA#7 and it shot very flat.  Now I use HS6 with 9.6 grains for the 115 grains.  I switched over to HS6 because AA#7 was really dirty on the gun.  I used to use 124gr for a while but I seem to like the way my gun feels with 115gr.  I don't remember what were my loads for the 124gr. 

Thanks for that info. I will bump up the powder and see how that goes.  I really liked the 124's in my old gun.  Do you really notice any "difference" between the 115's and 124's?

So far it is VERY accurate with the 124's so I hesitate changing.  I am due to order more bullets this week so I need to decide soon if it is worth trying something different.

Thanks for the input.

9 hours ago, Sporky said:

Thanks for that info. I will bump up the powder and see how that goes.  I really liked the 124's in my old gun.  Do you really notice any "difference" between the 115's and 124's?

So far it is VERY accurate with the 124's so I hesitate changing.  I am due to order more bullets this week so I need to decide soon if it is worth trying something different.

Thanks for the input.

What I notice that it feels flatter.  I fell the gun comes back to its starting position quicker so I can take my follow up shot quicker. That's just me. It does feel a little more violent in the hand but to me it's flatter. What bullets do you use? 

What I notice that it feels flatter.  I fell the gun comes back to its starting position quicker so I can take my follow up shot quicker. That's just me. It does feel a little more violent in the hand but to me it's flatter. What bullets do you use? 
Precision delta 124's
Akai recommended them when I asked a question about the gun. He also said to use VV powder, but that stuff is double what aa#7 is.
So I guess I'll turn up the powder and see how it feels. I also have some slowmo video of that load so I'll bump it and video it again and see if I can spot a difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Sporky said:

Precision delta 124's
Akai recommended them when I asked a question about the gun. He also said to use VV powder, but that stuff is double what aa#7 is.
So I guess I'll turn up the powder and see how it feels. I also have some slowmo video of that load so I'll bump it and video it again and see if I can spot a difference.

I use precision deltas as well. I have used VV3n38 as well and yes it was comparable to aa#7 but a lot cleaner. If you have a chance try out the 115 and see what you think. 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:02 PM, Sporky said:

Precision delta 124's

That is the recipe that Lesgar uses. If you look at his videos, you will see how little the dot moves on his gun. Like everyone says; you have to experiment to find what you like. I have shot Lesgar's gun and it is crazy how flat that thing is with that load.

1 hour ago, BiggMike said:

That is the recipe that Lesgar uses. If you look at his videos, you will see how little the dot moves on his gun. Like everyone says; you have to experiment to find what you like. I have shot Lesgar's gun and it is crazy how flat that thing is with that load.

I have 8lbs of AA#7.......

Do you think it is worth getting a 4lb jug of VV 3N38 and trying it?

VV powder is a ton of money compared to AA

6 hours ago, Sporky said:

I have 8lbs of AA#7.......

Do you think it is worth getting a 4lb jug of VV 3N38 and trying it?

VV powder is a ton of money compared to AA

I would say get a 1lb bottle to test and go from there. I know the shipping cost sucks but I would hate to see you get pounds of expensive powder and not like it. If you get a 4lb jug and don't like it, I'm pretty sure you can sell it with no problems at all but do you want that headache?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some video of some testing I was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HlcVVl5sLpw

124 gr Precision delta, 7 lb recoil spring, wilson shockbuff, and the powder is AA#7

The end of the video is with 10.5 gr.  It is a bit violent and I "feel" like the dot is a little crazy.  But that could be in my head.

The first is my load for my old open gun but I don't recall the powder charge for that one.

And If you look close, it seems to me that the slide "slows down" a bit on the Disco.....not sure what to do about that for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlcVVl5sLpw

Edited by Sporky
video link