Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SS failures to feed - lighter recoil spring?

matteekay

The discussion on skokbuff usage is neither here nor there. Opinions vary. And until someone does an acceptably scientific test, that's' all it will ever be - an opinion. So until that day, if someone feels they help, more power to them. 

However, a worn or damaged shokbuff should be removed or replaced immediately. They are wear items that should be replaced before they fail.

And like every other part on the gun, they must be considered when diagnosing function issues. They can cause problems on guns with incorrect spring rates, both over and under sprung. 

I got my Wolff springs! One question: the 14lb recoil spring is significantly longer than my stock 18lb one (slightly more than an inch). Should I be trimming it to match or just squeezing it in there? 5" Gov't gun if that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to oil the gun profusely. I used Mobile One. I belong to the camp that believes in using alot of oil on 1911s. I have had feed jams because I didn't use enough oil on a newer STI. Lowered the recoil spring wt and actually oiled it very well. Problem solved. New mag springs can put alot of upward tension on the slide, slowing it down, inducing FTFs. A new gun and new mags have break in periods. Leave new mags fully loaded for several days.

I think I've got it fixed following several issue-free practices and a match. In total:

- Beveled the bottom of the extractor

- Pulled the Shok Buff

- Replaced the 18 lb recoil spring with a 14 lb one

- Remembered to slather it with oil before the match

Thanks for all the insights!