Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major ejector length?

Broncman

Those of you running 9 Major, what is your ejector length?

My first open match and I had terrible ejection issues. I believe I have it sorted out after a day in the shop today and trip to range. Ran 2 full 170 mm and 2 full 140mm mags with no failures.

I have only had a single 140 mag while building the pistol and getting it running. It ran good with a few failures I contributed to the gun not being broken in. Got a few more mags finally and found that when loaded full, the 170 would not run at all until it got to about 20 Rds.

Found that the extractor tension was way too low, the new round would push out the brass before it hit the ejector. When mags went down a few Rds, it would run. Got to looking at the ejector and thought it looked short. I had ordered and thought I had installed an Ed Brown extended ejector.

It measures 145 thousandths. Got out the RIA 38 Super 1911 and the stock ejector in it is 250 thou. A lot longer!

I added more tension to the extractor and offset the Dawson Precision CMore mount 200 thousands with a spacer I machined. 

2 mags full with the 170 mags and it ran great. Extractor holding the empty all the way to the Ejector now.

Just wondering if I need to get a longer extractor on the way just in case. If the rain let's up, I will get back to the range and run a few more mags to see if it holds.

The ejector is the proper length when you can rack the slide with the recoil spring removed and watch the bullet end of your dummy rounds not hit the hood of the barrel.  Plus it should have a slight bevel on he face of it, looking at it from the barrel towards the breach face, the 10 o'clock area should be the high/pointy area of the bevel.

After that is set a 170 mag and extractor problems is a sign the extractor tension is not enough.  Also making sure extractor is smoothed and shaped correctly.

Good luck

Edited by Glk21C

Hey, Ken.  I have had the best luck with the shorter ejectors like the CK in my guns.  I have also been able to get longer ejectors running, but they haven't been quite as consistent.

Do make sure to have good, consistent extractor tension on all cases.  I've found it's not really over done until your tension either slows down feeding enough that it keeps the gun out of battery or you can feel it when shooting.  Also, a trick I've found is to mess with magazine location.  Sounds weird but works.  I keep all kinds of mag catches (stock and modified) on hand to find what each gun likes in terms of the final position of the mag to the grip, frame, and slide.  Go get 'em!

I will check the mag catch. It is a Dawson posi lock.

It really bothered me how much I had to remove on the extractor locating pad right behind the hook. So I get out my other guns. A Colt 1911 in 9 mm, a RIA in 38 Super and another bare CK slide.

Well, it sucks but both CK slides have the extractor hole off from both the Colt and RIA.

Approximately .018" further from the firing pin hole and further down. About 7:00 on the case.

I do have it running now and an EGW HD extractor on the way. I will fit the EGW extractor and keep it in my range bag.

We will see, hate to have to mill another slide.

Edited by Broncman