Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked S_i Grips

al503

*Mods: not sure if this is the right forum so please feel free to move it. *

I have an APS STI grip made by Jim Shanahan that I was going to put on a blaster that has subsequently been sold.

I'm of the belief that one should have a back-up/replacement parts just in case something happens so you won't have any down-time. (Seems like if you have the part(s), nothing breaks. If you don't have them...)

Anyway, I've read a few of the threads regarding cracked S_I grips and was just wondering how many of y'all have dealt with this? Also, if you could include info on whether the failure was attributable to a manufacturer's defect, user modification error, etc.

most of the cracked grips that i have seen are from the grip being removed from the frame by taking out the grip screws and pulling it off the frame, usually this will cause the grip to not come off the frame straight and causing it to crack. the other time a grip cracks is usually attributed to the grip being ground or cut too thin in the wrong places.

I've broken 2 STI and 2 SVI grips. They've all broken at the Mag Catch keyhole on the right hand side. The common symptoms were mushy inconsistent trigger pull from the broken piece rubbing on the bottom of the trigger bow and feeding failures from the magazine/catch moving around.

Mine were not caused by incorrect disassembly. I'm pretty sure mine were caused by using fully loaded 29 round big sticks exclusively and aggravated by lots of dry fire reload practice using empty mags.

Nolan