Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You have a gameplan, use it.

KrymSIX

I have two separate instances, these are from two different events and will likely be more useful anecdotes for fellow newer shooters than more seasoned contributors. 

I shoot Limited division with 20 rounds in my first mag 19 in all the others (plenty of rounds, right?) 

1. Had a gameplan to shoot the first 8 paper targets, which were positioned along a "walkway" made by the fault lines. The difficulty wasn't in the distance of the shots but 3-10 yards from the walkway. The tricky part was the layout, planning where you would pivot to engage the targets on the left vs right. 

Anyways, in my walkthrough I decided reload after 8, just to be safe in terms of ammo. It then meant engaging 3 more targets before exiting the "walkway" and moving to the final shooting box to engage the remaining targets (like another 5 paper and then some steel). 

I'm making good time for me, I'm shooting Alphas and I'm reallu feeling great about my run. Too great in fact. I come to my pre determined reload section, but I'm really moving and I can totally Alpha these last 3 papers. 2 alpha, 2 alpha, CLICK!!!! "Oh ffs" drop am empty mag, load a fresh mag, rack the slide finish the stage pretty deflated. Everyone in my squad was super nice and encouraging about it so it was no big deal. Lesson, you've taken the time to create a gameplan for yourself, if you see someone else shoot the stage differently, that doesn't mean its a better way for you. Stick to the plan you came up with for yourself because it is probably the best plan for you. 

2. This was a bad day all around for me. Just couldn't get anything to click into gear. To compound my frustration I found I was doing a lot of taping and spraying steels while some other squad members seemed to do a little more chatting. 

Anyways, don't stop your run unless the RO tells you to stop. Going through a stage and it finally feels like I'm having an ok run. My plan seems to be panning out well enough, reload is nice and smooth. I go to engage a target and see 3 holes staring back at me. I haven't engaged this target yet, these are untaped from the last shooter. I stop my own run and inform the RO why I am stopping. They inform me that I am supposed to continue my run and any course error issues or reshoot discussion would take place AFTER my stage was completed. By the rules I shouldn't get a re shoot. I was fine with the no reshoot but I was definitely a bit annoyed by the fact that there were untaped targets. At that point my attitude was "at least theres just one stage left, I'm ready to gtfo" 

Lesson, follow the ROs commands. If there is an issue with the course or a target wait until after your run is complete to lodge your complaint. It's tricky to keep going, but thats how the rule was explained to me in this instance.

1- Sounds like you need to visualize better before the run so your plan becomes automatic and you don’t even have to think about it.

Also, it sounds like you are analyzing your performance as you go and consciously making decisions about how to shoot the rest of the stage. Instead, try giving your conscious mind one job to do (call each shot and decide whether a make up is required) and let your well visualized stage plan and subconscious skills do the rest.

Of course, this is easier said than done, and I’m not there yet. 

2- Definitely don’t stop if you think you see a target that had not been pasted. If the shooter before you was shooting a different division, it might still be possible to score the target, so there’s no guarantee of a reshoot. 

Having your plan plan burned in and your conscious mind already occupied will probably help prevent you from hesitating or stopping.  

• 2 weeks later...