Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front Sight Blade, Fo Width

surfmaster

Hi Everyone:

I was wondering what's the blade width of your fiber optic front sight (0.09", 0.1" or 0.125")?

Also, what's the width of the actual fiber optic rod (0.06" or 0.04")?

I figure the smaller fiber optic rod (0.04") would be better for accuracy but is it harder to track then the larger rod size (0.06")?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

If you MUST use a fiber optic, smaller would be better IMO. You want to still be able to see the top of the blade and if your fiber is to big or bright you just can't see it easily, and that make calling shots hard.

You don't need to track you sights, they are right in front of your face :)

You can see the small ones fine.

I just replaced the sights on my primary and backup Limited guns. I got a .090 and a .100 Brazos with both diameter (.040 and .060) FO's. I like them a lot - the sight picture is more precise than the old .070 FS's I had.

I like the microdot in .040. The FS silhouette is nice and sharp for a classic sight pic, if I want it, and the dot is there for quick, close in target acquisitions.

I sort of converted the .100 sight into a .060 "microdot" by running the FO only through the front and middle channels - Brazos' machining is quite nice: the hole in the rear channel is well centered, and I can see the blossomed end of the FO behind the middle channel just like the .040 FO in the .090 microdot. No burnout of the sight picture like I had with the blossomed end of the FO on the rear channel.

So far both the .100 and .090 seen to shoot better for me (more precise) than the .070, but are roughly equivalent.

Kevin C.

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned today that Dawson is no longer making a .060 width FO. I bought a .040"/.125 front sight. I have been shooting the Les Baer factory FO front, and I've noticed the Dawson's are brighter.

Should I switch from a .060" to a .040" FO width? I don't know what to do?

Chris

CSEMARTIN,

For me, the FO is mostly a way to pick up the FS quickly, occasionally to use as a "dot on brown" flash sight picture on close in targets that are shot off my index. I still want to see the top of the FS blade for a classic sight picture on targets farther out, and a big bright dot makes it hard (again, for me) to do that. The small dot works for my eyes for both near and far targets.

So the answer is how much of that bright dot you need to have for what you want it to do for you.

B)

I've tried "T" fronts, step fronts, fronts with a large fiber on top, plain black fronts, and dawson .090 fibers

I by far prefer a dawson .090 fiber and have them on most of my guns. Of course, since I shoot a Beretta Vertec, I have to order them custom made from dawson.

Hi Everyone:

My gunsmith just installed a new Brazos MicroDot sight on my 5" STI 40. I love the new sight. It's very bright and easy to track compared to my wide 1.25" side with a hugh fiber optic rod. Ironically, it's now easier to shoot with both eyes open with the thinner MicroDot sight with a small 0.04" fiber optic rod than with my older wider sight with large fiber optic rod. It's also increased my accuracy. I highly recommend the sight and the folks at Brazos are nice.