Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedside Pistol Safe

GIO

I am looking to purchase a nightstand/bedside safe for my “Bump in the Night” G17.  Will only be used at night, pistol on me during the day or in Main Safe. Lots of choices out there but as always this forum seems like the best place for real recommendations. Not crazy about all the electronics or lots of features ( blue tooth, etc) just something that will always open and has some sort of spring lid or drop open door for one handed operation. 

Thoughts? 

I use a Ft Knox pistol box, after having a failure with the electronic / biometric style “safe”. The Ft Knox is a heavy gage steel (compared to my previous POS). The most important thing, IMO, is that the lock is a purely mechanical. I can easily fit a Glock 19 with mounted light, a Glock 43, spare mags for both, hand light and knife in this pistol box. I got mine on Amazon for $215. Ft Knox FTK-PB. Very satisfied with this box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The struts on the lid assist the opening and does hold the lid open, but the lid is quite heavy and requires a little lift from you to open. It’s really very effortless to open the lid once you punched in the code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Fort Knox box. I’ve got two of them and they are built like tanks and very reliable. No need for lighted buttons. You can easily feel them in the dark to open the box. There are only 5 buttons to push and you don’t need to push all of them at once.

I've had the Gunvault for about 20 years now.  Really like it for next to the bed.  For a long time I kept it locked and practiced putting my fingers into the grooves and applying my code.  Its actually very easy, I just seem to practice everything when it comes to gun handling.  Now, I actually unlock it at bed time so its open and close it when I leave.  (No little fingers running around looking for triggers anymore). There are many out there, I have had good luck with this one.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault/minivault-gv1000s.html

Edited by Hammer002