Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz for 3 gun

Eric1231

To echo a common theme, I'm going to say that there are multiple good options and the choice really comes down to what, if anything, you're going to use the gun for outside of 3 gun.

A Shadow, Shadow 2, or really any kind of SP01 variant will be great in both 3 gun and USPSA Production. I've been shooting a Shadow in 3 gun for about 3 years, never had an issue with it. Along the way, I picked up a Tactical Sport in .40 to shoot in USPSA Limited (I mostly shoot USPSA as practice for 3 gun, and I find Limited to be more directly analogous to 3 gun-style pistol shooting than Production), and recently upgraded to a 9 mm Tactical Sport for 3 gun. It's an improvement over the Shadow, but hardly a night and day difference. You can fit ~1-2 more rounds in a TS 140 mm mag, the sight radius is a tad longer, and the stock trigger is better. But a Shadow or Shadow 2 would probably be about 90% of the same gun for less cost, and the gap between them narrows even more with aftermarket parts and custom work. A Shadow, TS, or TSO will all work okay in 3 gun. If you're going to shoot more Limited than Production, go for a TS or TSO. If you're going to shoot more Production, go with a Shadow or Shadow 2. If you don't care, go with whatever you can find the cheapest.

Again, this has already come up, but I'll reiterate the point about the factory safety. I've been bitten by it coming off in a dump bucket while dropping it before. I strongly recommend a stiffer detent spring for the safety (available here: http://www.dsperman.com/), and even then, you probably want to put in a lower profile lever on one side, then practice gingerly grounding the gun on that side. In the meantime get used to quickly dropping the mag and racking the slide before you dump it.....

Can someone post some recommendations for aftermarket parts to take a CZ TS 9mm mag (20 rounds, flat rubber basepad) and turn it into a high cap 140mm? And how many rounds do you get with these parts?

As long as you aren't stuck with keeping the factory basepad, you can get 23 rounds into a factory tube, by replacing the spring, follower and adding an extended basepad. 

I have Grams follower, extended spring and CZC basepad, which gets me 23 rounds of 9mm. FYI, does not lock back consistently on an empty mag if this is important to you.

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

As long as you aren't stuck with keeping the factory basepad, you can get 23 rounds into a factory tube, by replacing the spring, follower and adding an extended basepad. 

I have Grams follower, extended spring and CZC basepad, which gets me 23 rounds of 9mm. FYI, does not lock back consistently on an empty mag if this is important to you.

Is there any way to order these parts in one place?  Or available used?  I would love to have 2-3 23rounders when I come to the States for matches, but it is borderline impossible to place the order from 3 separates places, get them to accept my order, and have these parts come together at a match with no time to fine-tune.

I would have to be able to buy some used mags that have been proven to work, and the seller could then buy new mags for himself. I have an ad in the for-sale forum but no responses.

1 hour ago, adamge said:

Is there any way to order these parts in one place?  Or available used?  I would love to have 2-3 23rounders when I come to the States for matches, but it is borderline impossible to place the order from 3 separates places, get them to accept my order, and have these parts come together at a match with no time to fine-tune.

I would have to be able to buy some used mags that have been proven to work, and the seller could then buy new mags for himself. I have an ad in the for-sale forum but no responses.

You can get it all from CZC I believe.

54 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

You can get it all from CZC I believe.

Two problems. One, no I can't, CZC won't sell to me.  Two, all their pages say 'some modification required,' and I don't have an opportunity when at a match to do this.

2 hours ago, adamge said:

Two problems. One, no I can't, CZC won't sell to me.  Two, all their pages say 'some modification required,' and I don't have an opportunity when at a match to do this.

Why won't CZC sell to you? Can't you pick up items across the border? The modification is pretty simple.

You can try Springer Precision: https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=348 CZC is usually the go to though.

3 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Why won't CZC sell to you? Can't you pick up items across the border? The modification is pretty simple.

You can try Springer Precision: https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=348 CZC is usually the go to though.

Right on CZC front page in big letters:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: CURRENTLY WE DO NOT PROCESS OR SHIP ORDERS FROM OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES

I will look into Springer, it seems like they might be an option.

1 hour ago, adamge said:

Right on CZC front page in big letters:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: CURRENTLY WE DO NOT PROCESS OR SHIP ORDERS FROM OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES

I will look into Springer, it seems like they might be an option.

Right, so ship it into the US? I've heard of people driving across the border to pick up items in the US to avoid fees. Or you can ask someone at the event if they can receive it for you. 

33 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Right, so ship it into the US? I've heard of people driving across the border to pick up items in the US to avoid fees. Or you can ask someone at the event if they can receive it for you. 

They will not process the order from people outside of USA regardless of where you ship it to.  Their website uses address verification for credit cards and when I tried to call to get some mags for my trips South I was told they would not sell me anything as a Canadian regardless where I was shipping it.