Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone build their open holster?

Broncman

I wanted to try the race master magnetic block and the new x whatever holster wasn’t shipping yet so I just bought the insert block and came up with this to test it as a prototype. It worked fine so I haven’t gotten around to making a cleaner looking one yet.

I found that once mag and pouches are pretty much settled, I never move them. So I have now just put T nuts on the inside, drill small hole and bolt everything directly to my belt. Makes Velcro connection to inner belt better and no brackets to break.

i think using the proven block on your own designed rig will get you best of both worlds.

6CB1AA52-2EA8-48C4-926E-7D67602CF591.jpeg

319E2D30-761A-49E3-A208-533A197EA61A.jpeg

70C00DCF-EE2A-41F5-8910-AC3868C85D2E.jpeg

This is my limited setup prior to finishing/coating. It’s A kydex holster but I made a single piece solid hanger that I hogged out of a single scrap of billet aluminum, I didn’t have a mill at the time but I learned an aweful lot about how to work alu with files/rasps that’s for sure. Again it’s bolted directly to belt with T nuts on inside. (Edit, I take back not having a mill at the time but looking at the pic I realize I had one because that was the first gun I made. The geometry and contours just made hand tools easier on the holster)

555F935B-C0D8-4E52-9E93-31CF3FC67D6B.jpeg

87BB79CF-4808-4E90-93FA-39164C28E457.jpeg

Edited by drewbeck

On 12/15/2017 at 12:33 AM, drewbeck said:

I wanted to try the race master magnetic block and the new x whatever holster wasn’t shipping yet so I just bought the insert block and came up with this to test it as a prototype. It worked fine so I haven’t gotten around to making a cleaner looking one yet.

I found that once mag and pouches are pretty much settled, I never move them. So I have now just put T nuts on the inside, drill small hole and bolt everything directly to my belt. Makes Velcro connection to inner belt better and no brackets to break.

i think using the proven block on your own designed rig will get you best of both worlds.

6CB1AA52-2EA8-48C4-926E-7D67602CF591.jpeg

319E2D30-761A-49E3-A208-533A197EA61A.jpeg

70C00DCF-EE2A-41F5-8910-AC3868C85D2E.jpeg

Dude that's sweet. What did you use for the ball post? I might have to do that and save myself $170. I've got manual machines and not sure I could make a sphere with the lathe, no ball turning things or whatever

20 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Dude that's sweet. What did you use for the ball post? I might have to do that and save myself $170. I've got manual machines and not sure I could make a sphere with the lathe, no ball turning things or whatever

u can  sharp  regular mill cutter with radius by hand for this work.

if i can do this with my  hobby machines  u can do this with professional machines  more easily .

Edited by yigal

I just happened to have a safari land 014 holster and stole the ball. I didn’t want to deal with turning a ball on the Lathe either so I looked around for a good alternate and found that a compressed air hose “swivel” joint or ball joint fitting would work great, just take it apart. The more heavy duty the better, tractor supply had some nicer ones than Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u can  sharp  regular mill cutter with radius by hand for this work.
if i can do this with my  hobby machines  u can do this with professional machines  more easily .

If you can do it, let’s see your pics. These were done on my mini mill before I got a larger hobby mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk