Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning question

mattmann

So with the purchase of my new JP rifle I want to make sure I don’t screw anything up. 1) is the bore guid necessary and 2) is a chamber brush okay to use? I have a Dewey rod with a chamber brush attached and it does a great job at cleaning the chamber but I want to make sure I don’t scar it up or do something wrong. I am a BIG fan of bore snakes. Is this a no go? Sorry this is my first high end competition rifle and I do not want to screw it up! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used a bore guide, but I think they are popular / necessary with precision & benchrest guys

You can use a cleaning brush of a softer material (brass or nylon). You can over clean and cause damage if you are aggressive enough to remove the protective finish on any parts.

I use a bore snake routinely and then clean well with a brush and copper solvent very occasionally (if there is a decrease in accuracy due to copper fouling or as required by a change in ammunition)

2 hours ago, mattmann said:

So with the purchase of my new JP rifle I want to make sure I don’t screw anything up. 1) is the bore guid necessary and 2) is a chamber brush okay to use? I have a Dewey rod with a chamber brush attached and it does a great job at cleaning the chamber but I want to make sure I don’t scar it up or do something wrong. I am a BIG fan of bore snakes. Is this a no go? Sorry this is my first high end competition rifle and I do not want to screw it up! Thanks in advance!

I use a bore guide simply because it's convenient.   However, it's also useful.  Once you've cleaned your chamber, you don't want to dirty it up again by pushing more solvent/oil through it.  The bore guide is o-ring sealed so nothing will fall back into your chamber.

I use a 1 piece rod and bore brush with bore guide.  Take it easy with the brush; it's easy to over do it.  Put a patch through full of your favorite solvent/paste etc..  Then give her a few strokes with the brush followed by clean patches until they come out clean.  I usually finish with a clean patch with a small amount of oil on it.  YMMV.

Edited by Gabes

51 minutes ago, mattmann said:

Do y’all push through and take the attachment off before pulling back through? So to not dirty up or scratch with brush?

I run the brush back and fourth a couple times.  Think 'scrubbing action.'  

I use a jag to push cotton patches through and I remove the patch before pulling the rod out.  The bore guide does an excellent job of keeping the rod centered.

I run the brush back and fourth a couple times.  Think 'scrubbing action.'  

I use a jag to push cotton patches through and I remove the patch before pulling the rod out.  The bore guide does an excellent job of keeping the rod centered.

Great. I haven’t been doing it too wrong lol. So what about chamber brushes? I bought a Dewey rod with a chamber brush attached to it and use it a lot on my AR’s after several hundred rounds but I could see where it could scar one up being it’s all wire brushes essentially.

22 minutes ago, mattmann said:

Great. I haven’t been doing it too wrong lol. So what about chamber brushes? I bought a Dewey rod with a chamber brush attached to it and use it a lot on my AR’s after several hundred rounds but I could see where it could scar one up being it’s all wire brushes essentially.

Please don't pay too much attention to what I say... i'm no expert either.  I rarely clean my guns too... by rarely I mean 1-2 times per year and I shoot a lot.  

I always clean a rifle by pulling the brush and patches from the chamber end towards the muzzle.

I want the crud out of the barrel, so why push anything back into the chamber/action of the rifle?

Also, I've read that running a brush through the barrel in both directions will damage the bristles and shorten the life of the brush (at least on the metal brushes - this may not be true for nylon brushes, but I don't use those).

I don't use a bore guide.  Never have.

If you push a brush/patch through the barrel the rod flexes and rubs the lands.  Fact of life, bore guide or not, a thin diameter metal shaft will bend under compression and rub.  If you pull the patch/brush through the barrel (and do it slowly and pay attention to the rod location in the muzzle/flash suppressor to keep it centered) it will not flex and rub the lands.  A thin metal rod under tension will stay straight, unless you pull to one side and bend it by rubbing the lands at the muzzle.

I don't use chamber brushes.  Since I don't push crud from the barrel into the chamber it seems to stay cleaner.  I do clean the chamber, with the same patches/solvent I use for the barrel.  Then I use dry patches, same for the barrel, then I put a light coat of oil on the chamber/barrel with a patch.

Been working for me for over 40 years now.  If I shoot it, I clean it.  If I handle it, but don't shoot it, I still wipe if off with an oily cloth before I put it away.

Good luck with yours.

20 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

After every match. I take rifle apart and wipe everything down. run mop in the chamber. one pull of bore snake through the barrel. clean bolt. Relube and ready for next session.

This is my routine also.....almost. I don't do it after every match. But when I do decide to clean, this is what I do. One pull and done. I have not put a rod down ANY barrel since I bought bore snakes a couple years ago. Will never go back to my Deweys.