Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf Overtravel Screw

TRG65

Is an internal overtravel adjustment screw like Lone Wolf sells for Glocks legal in USPSA production?

I had a conversation with a friend (also a local MD but not at the club that we were shooting at) which puzzled me. I have been under the belief that the internal overtravel adjustments are legal. I came home and ran a search, but didn’t come up with any previous thread which really answered my question. I found one where Matt K. talks about his internal overtravel adjustment being production legal, and a thread where the speed bump Beretta trigger is not legal because it is external.

The position my friend took was that since it was not a factory option then it wasn’t legal. But there is plenty of non factory internal modifications which seem to be legal. I presume that because the appendix says that reliability work is ok then gives the examples of throating and trigger work as examples, and that weight can not exceed 2 oz. over factory all the “normal” mods come from these too places. By normal mods I mean tungsten or steel guide rods, sub 2 lb triggers, ISMI 13 lb springs . . . . So what is wrong with a Lone Wolf overtravel screw, which is in my opinion internal so it doesn’t violate the no external modifications other than sights, and is trigger work. My “argument” for enhanced reliability is that it reduces the possibility of short stroking the trigger.

I figured someone else has gone through this, so before I sent an email to HQ, I figured I’d ask here.

Thanks

Seth Ritzman

Nice shooting with you yesterday, I was a little thrown by those comments on trigger work as well. I've been shooting L10 lately but still felt free to shoot Production as well even with my modded trigger until the conversation yesterday.

I'm a bit of a novice in the sport but I agree with your definition of trigger work/reliability and have been operating under that premise all year. Someone smarter than I will hopefull weigh in with some insight.

Later

Jim Whitecotton

Any internal trigger work is just fine as long as the safeties still function as designed. I think that if you were to shoot IPSC production division only factory available options are legal.

This is likely one of those strange areas where IPSC and USPSA have different standards. IF you want to know for sure then John Amidon an email and ask him. That should clear it up.

Is an internal overtravel adjustment screw like Lone Wolf sells for Glocks legal in USPSA production?

I had a conversation with a friend (also a local MD but not at the club that we were shooting at) which puzzled me.  I have been under the belief that the internal overtravel adjustments are legal.  I came home and ran a search, but didn’t come up with any previous thread which really answered my question.  I found one where Matt K. talks about his internal overtravel adjustment being production legal, and a thread where the speed bump Beretta trigger is not legal because it is external.

The position my friend took was that since it was not a factory option then it wasn’t legal.  But there is plenty of non factory internal modifications which seem to be legal.  I presume that because the appendix says that reliability work is ok then gives the examples of throating and trigger work as examples, and that weight can not exceed 2 oz. over factory all the “normal” mods come from these too places.  By normal mods I mean tungsten or steel guide rods, sub 2 lb triggers, ISMI 13 lb springs . . . .  So what is wrong with a Lone Wolf overtravel screw, which is in my opinion internal so it doesn’t violate the no external modifications other than sights, and is trigger work.  My “argument” for enhanced reliability is that it reduces the possibility of short stroking the trigger.

I figured someone else has gone through this, so before I sent an email to HQ, I figured I’d ask here.

Thanks

Seth Ritzman

Seth, you're good to go with what you have. Heck, polishing the crap out of the internals is not a factory option either but you can do it. I've shot with you enough that I'd like to say you can't use it since you give me a whooping, but.... :D

Vince

Thanks all

That is pretty much what I figured. A lot of us use a guide rod of some type of steel with ISMI springs, and like Flex said they are definately not factory options either. The safeties do still function so I don't have to worry about that part either.

Jim, it was nice meeting you as well. Now comes the rough part....because I hate waiting for the scores to be posted.

Vince, I figured you were using a gun that Tim tweeked. If so, I imagine you are shooting a nicer gun than I. I just bought Steve's book so hopefully I can start practicing at least via dry fire, or else I might start to be on the receiving end of those whoppings.