Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Little Nuggets.....

21 hours ago, MikieM said:

There's not a thing wrong with that number.

Here's the way I look at it. If I can chronograph 10 rounds that give me an averaged PF of 125, I'm tickled pink because according to USPSA, that's legal.

Well, maybe if you consistently got an average of 125 (truncated, not rounded) over 3 shots, not 10.

2 hours ago, abigger04 said:

Nice looking rigs. What type of magwells are you using? 

Thank you. Yes, they're Taccom's.

Back-in-the-day, when I was building guns, like the one you see in my avatar, the thought of making a mag-well on a printer was pure science-fiction. The only thing we made on a printer was a news-letter, that came from a typewriter, about an up-coming match. 

Edited by MikieM
On 12/8/2017 at 12:38 PM, bladewurk said:

I have found data all over the place, including Hornady data going up to 5.4 grains. I guess the current WST lots, barrels and chambers make a big difference as the more current data seems much lower.

Remember blade, Hornady's pistol data is based on a 4 inch barrel. If you used WSF, say, at recommended loads, you would notice a lot of unburned powder. This is because WSF is a slow burning powder relative to the small 9mm case. Put that same load in a 16 inch barrel where all the powder can be consumed and you'll see a big difference in velocities because of the increase in pressure. This is good news because it allows us guys with 16 inch barrels to reduce our loads and still get the velocity we want (and the PF we want). And, we all know that a reduction in powder weight means a reduction in recoil.

So, how long is too long? According to the Ballistics By The Inch chart we've pretty much run out steam by the 15 to 17 inch mark so, lucky us, we're right there at the sweet spot at 16. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, MikieM said:

Back-in-the-day, when I was building guns, like the one you see in my avatar, the thought of making a mag-well on a printer was pure science-fiction. The only thing we made on a printer was a news-letter, that came from a typewriter, about an up-coming match. 

:D