Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Scope

2005 Vette

I need some feedback from some experienced 3 gunners. I am just getting into 3 gun. I have a Glock 34, Mossberg 930 JM, and an Armalite M153GN 18”.However I’m struggling with which optic to purchase. I have done many hours of research, and watched lots of video’s on YouTube. My question is what is the most important factor, Glass or magnification? You all started at some point , over the years how do most shooters evolved with reticle?  I have researched Primary arms Vortex Strike Eagle and Burris RT6. Do you wish you would have spent more to begin with, like Steiner P4xi or  Vortex Viper. I’m having some heartburn with going all in right away with a Razor. Guys I would greatly appreciate your experiences and feedback. Thanks in advance. Jim

If you are primarily shooting bay matches with short range targets I might suggest a red dot type of sight. If you will be shooting field matches and reaching out to targets a good 1-6 would be perfect. Of the 3 you mentioned, I would choose the Burris. I shoot with a Burris 1-4, and sometimes I wish it were a 1-6 or even better a 1-8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a viper pst 1-4 and I had a strike eagle 1-6 but currently run a primary arms 1-8. I really like the pa but once you look through a higher end 1-8 or 1-6 it will make you spoiled and realize the cheaper scopes typically don’t compare. With this being said, my pa is still on my 3 gun rifle and has served me just fine and will remain there until my other priorities for upgrading are met. Then I may go to a higher end vortex or Burris. The higher end glass makes a bigger difference and is easier on the eyes on a lower power scope then a cheaper high power. Just my .02

As stated it depends on the matches you go to. My area matches are shorter bays so I just go with a red dot in limited class but if you go scoped then if you can afford it, get a higher end one but if not then the strike eagle is ok. I started with one and alot of guys do but I can guarantee if you're serious about 3 gun then you'll definitely upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glass over magnification. I'd take a good 1-6x over a OK to mediocre 1-8x any day. I haven't looked through the Burris RT6 so I can't comment on it. I currently own the Strike Eagle 1-8x and used to own a Viper PST Gen1. The Viper (Gen1 or Gen2) has better glass (clearer and less distortion) than the Strike Eagle. I have been told but, haven't seen for myself, that the glass in the Viper PST Gen2 is about 90-95% of the the Razor. I have a Burris XTR II 1-5x and it has good glass.

Went with the Burris RT6 this summer.  For the price it has pretty good glass and a reticle that works well for the 3 gunner looking for good options at something less than a high end scope would cost.. And if you miss a clean dump into a barrel / box seams rugged enough to take it, And your not out $1k+ if it doesn't.!!!

hit a few matches and just ask everyone to look thru their scopes.  doubt anyone will say no.  best way to see what will work for you.

and fyi, look down below in the multigun section, a lot of scope discussions there.

hit a few matches and just ask everyone to look thru their scopes.  doubt anyone will say no.  best way to see what will work for you.

and fyi, look down below in the multigun section, a lot of scope discussions there.

Also a lot of people selling stuff at matches I’ve been at. This is how I bought my vortex viper. You can try it before you buy it too!!