Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have first hand knowledge of BSF carbon fiber barrels?

Well, Big, lots of viewers, but no reply's. 

I Googled BSF, took a gander at their 9 mm barrels, and boy howdy, they have to be the prettiest things I've ever seen that could be screwed onto an upper. Absolutely beautiful. 

That's the upside. The downside is the price. Damn near five hundred bucks for a 16 incher. No wonder not too many of the guys know much about them.

At less than half the price, but 2 ounces heavier, the Taccom is a better deal.  

If he's listening maybe Tim can enlighten us on why his barrel shroud doesn't have vent holes for letting out barrel heat, which would also add to the cool factor (pun intended).

Edited by MikieM

$500.00 bucks!??! Where you looking? Here they are for $285.00:   http://www.firearms4less.com/9mm/613-bsf-carbon-fiber-9mm-ar15-barrel-16-grey.html?search_query=BSF&results=5

And the one I can pick up is being sold for $200.00. That is why I was interested in it.

I see Tim's says 24 ounces and the BSF is listed at 16.5 ounces. So it is a bit lighter than Tim's.

Have no clue on the vent holes...seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know much so who knows?

29 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

$500.00 bucks!??! Where you looking? Here they are for $285.00:   http://www.firearms4less.com/9mm/613-bsf-carbon-fiber-9mm-ar15-barrel-16-grey.html?search_query=BSF&results=5

And the one I can pick up is being sold for $200.00. That is why I was interested in it.

I see Tim's says 24 ounces and the BSF is listed at 16.5 ounces. So it is a bit lighter than Tim's.

Have no clue on the vent holes...seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know much so who knows?

I'm looking on the BSF website. The 16 inch barrels are $449.00. Add some shipping onto that and you're pushing $500.00 harder than I like. The website you cited must be old because BSF is apparently using slots now instead of holes.

I'm sticking with Taccom's chrome moly barrel and aluminum shroud. I just did a little research with the help of Mr. Google, and it appears that CF tubing has a rather poor reputation for dissipating heat. Considerably less than a similar sized aluminum piece. This would partly explain why the barrel in question has so many holes (slots) machined into the shroud. Adding to this potential problem is a stainless steel barrel which also tends to hold heat. More so, at least, than it's moly counterparts.

On a hot day, blasting through a stage with an SS barrel under tension (stretched), and a CF shroud under tension (compressed), anything could happen.

All of this is supposition on my part, but who knows. I am no expert by any means. 

Jason Edwards is the only person I know running one on his PCC.  Shot with him at 3GN Nationals and shot the gun some following the match.  Definitely lightens up the front end.  

He seemed to be very pleased with it and had no issues with the 4" plates at 100 yards.