Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason to use a bolt catch?

Just built my pcc last night. Have been playing around with bcg travel and reading about everything else.

people seem to have trouble with the bolt catch periodically,  is there any good reason why you need one at all? My lower is not lrbho and I'm using a side charger so it's easy to hold back if needed.

would just skipping that part all together be the most fool proof.

If you do not have LRBHO, it would simply be an option available to you.  There are situations where locking back the bolt is helpful, clearing a rough jam, you lock back the bolt AND have a free hand to change mags or grab/poke out the offending problem.  Lots of things are more difficult to do if you are forced to keep one hand on the rifle and the other on the charging handle ... like flagging and pretty much everything.

Also, the bolt catch is pretty trouble free when only you are activating it.  

Edited by L9X25
7 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: For the cost of the bolt catch I would put one it. I am really liking the Strike Industries one. Works great to lock the bolt back when I install the flag. Thanks, Eric

I would agree with Eric here. And, that's definitely where I use mine the most. And I would also 2nd the Strike that he suggested. Reasonably priced and holding up so far.

Hello: For the cost of the bolt catch I would put one it. I am really liking the Strike Industries one. Works great to lock the bolt back when I install the flag. Thanks, Eric

I have the SI in one rifle, and the Seekins Enhanced bolt catch in two others, with no issues on either since adding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my build I used a KE Arms lower. It doesn't have any LRBHO. I still installed a bolt catch for the reasons mentioned above. You shouldn't have any problems with it breaking because you'll only be using it manually. They break when they try to stop the heavy buffer and bolt that has a good running head start.