Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 - 45 cases dropping upside down

I get 1 in 200 with 9mm.  

I'd be ok with that many but 3:100 seems like too many. It's not that big of a problem but throws off my rhythm. I loaded 500 tonight and had to stop about 15x to fix a flipped case. Wondering if anyone knows what causes and how to stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have the washer on the case feeder plate that is needed for tall cases do you?

I've never had a .45 case drop inverted, but I do get them with 9mm.

Edited by TDA

You don't have the washer on the case feeder plate that is needed for tall cases do you?

I've never had a .45 case drop inverted, but I do get them with 9mm.

Definitely not. When I switched it from 9 to 45 I just swapped the plates. I thought that washer was for longer cases like 45 lc and 44 mag. I'll install and see if it helps. Thanks for the replies!

8 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

I had this happen to me until I greatly reduced the amount of movement in my bench.  Is the casefeeder moving around when you operate the press?

My bench is solid and attached to the wall BUT there is a slight bit of movement with the case feeder. I'll rig something to the wall or ceiling and attached to the case feeder to see if I can eliminate all movement with some extra support. Also...I dug a little deeper on using the washer under the case plate and it looks like I should leave as is (no washer). Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, MJinPA said:

Definitely not. When I switched it from 9 to 45 I just swapped the plates. I thought that washer was for longer cases like 45 lc and 44 mag. I'll install and see if it helps. Thanks for the replies!

No, you don't want it installed for .45ACP.

That's why I was asking.

Quick update. Loaded 300 rounds tonight with ZERO inverted cases. I made sure the speed was on low and supported the hopper to minimize movement. Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions