Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disconnector Doesn't Re-connect

DanB35

In an attempt to improve the trigger on my Para-Ordnance P14-45, I purchased and installed the Nowlin drop-in trigger job, which replaces the hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring, and mainspring. Dry-fire testing indicated that everything was fine, and the trigger was much better. Everything looked fine, in fact, until stage 1 of yesterday's match. I shot a couple of rounds, and then the trigger didn't work any more--I could pull it, but it wouldn't drop the hammer. Fortunately, I kept the original parts, and had brought them with me, along with the tools I'd need to change them. I replaced the sear and disconnector, and shot the rest of the match without incident.

Now, of course, I'd like to figure out what happened. I measured the lengths of the two disconnectors, and they were within 0.001" of each other. The "tail", or flat piece on the bottom, was wider on the old part than the new--.172" on the old disconnector, .164" on the new.

What else should I check? I'd thought it could be disconnector length, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If it helps, I have pictures of the parts as installed. Thanks for any suggestions!

Dan,

I seem to recall hearing that the para frame has the slot for the bottom tab of the sear spring a bit lower than the standard 1911. You may not have enough spring on the middle leg. Try the old sear spring to see if that's it. At least compare the two for the length of the middle leg.

Later,

Chuck

My Para started this about 2 weeks ago. I bent the middle leg of the sear spring in a little bit and was good for a while. Did it again this Friday so I put in a new sear spring and it was fine at least through today's match.

I did send the gun home with Mike Caylor for a trigger job though. There's probably 30K + rounds on this trigger, so I'm sure its time.

Al

The midddle leg of the sear spring not on the disconnector (falling off the side), or middle leg to short/ frame sear spring slot low can cause this.

Thanks for all the suggestions; sounds like the sear spring is a common suspect. Here are the pictures I have. First, here's the picture with the old parts installed (the ones that work):

aei.sized.jpg

Now, here's the picture with the new parts:

aej.sized.jpg

The sear spring is the same in both cases. I compared it to the stock spring, and if anything, the stock spring seems a little bit shorter than the new one. I left the new spring in for the remainder of Saturday's match, and it worked just fine with the old sear and disconnector.

You could try the new sear, old disconnector and new spring. (The hole in the disconnector could be in a slightly different location.)

(From the picture it all looks right, but the tolerances of the parts could cause an issue (stack tolerances).)

Looking at the pictures, it appears as though the sear spring on the new set of parts isn't putting enought pressure on the disconnector to push it up into the disconnector slot. Also, measure the length of the disconnector from the top of the hole where the sear pin goes through to the top of the disconnector. The slot in the slide may be a little shallow for the new disconnector and not allowing it to ride up where it needs to be.

If this seems a little complicated, it is. Have it all checked by a reliable smith for your own safety.

Good luck!

You could try the new sear, old disconnector and new spring. (The hole in the disconnector could be in a slightly different location.)

Tried this--went to the range yesterday to try it out, and the gun worked fine. Left the gun that way and shot today's match with it, and it continued to work fine. Time to take a closer look at those two disconnectors... Thanks again for all the suggestions.