Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Options For Ma

bbrcape

I am looking for suggestions onLimited guns that are legal and available in MA. I am using a SW1911 in Limited 10 at the moment. What are other folks using in the area? SVI has a Mass compliant version listed but where can you get them? Another option might be a used Para with serious work. Any smiths in the area who specialize in Paras?

bbrcape- An SVI limited gun can be ordered from any dealer in the country and shipped to an FFL in MA for transfer to you. I'd start with SVI. If it is a long wait, check the classifieds here on BE and USPSA. You can post a want to buy ad on these forums. Also check www.gunsamerica.com and www.gunbroker.com. I'd also give JP rifles a call (www.jprifles.com). They sometimes have SV's in stock. You can also order just a frame from SV and send it to a pistol smith of your choice for a build.

Hey I just thought of a friend her in MA that may be selling an SV short dustcover limited gun. Great shape. Not fired much. Email me if you are interested and I'll check with him.

Another route is to go with a Glock 22. Can be shot in USPSA Limited, L10 and IDPA (loaded minor). Inexpensive way to get into the game and you can find used G22's in MA. Trigger job, magwell, and sights will get you going in limited. Will need at least 4 hi-cap mags. Dawson base pad will give you 19 rounds of .40.

Chuck D- New Glocks can still NOT be purchased in MA except by LE. There are 2nd and 3rd gen mass compliant guns out there that can be either sold by a dealer or transfered from person to person.

Later,

Nick

Hey I just thought of a friend her in MA that may be selling an SV short dustcover limited gun.  Great shape.  Not fired much.  Email me if you are interested and I'll check with him.

Later,

Nick

Nick,

I'd like to hear more about that SVI for sale in MA. Can you send more details?

Are you sure it's MA compliant? Just because a MA resident currently owns it doesn't mean it can be sold to another MA resident.

Thanks,

-Cuz

I am looking for suggestions onLimited guns that are legal  and available in MA.  I am using a SW1911 in Limited 10 at the moment.  What are other folks using in the area?  SVI has a Mass compliant version listed but where can you get them? Another option might be a used Para with serious work.  Any smiths in the area who specialize in Paras?

bbrcape,

Is the SVI listed on BOTH MA lists? Or just on the Hi-Cap list? I think the gun has to be on both lists. If memory serves me the second list is the kicker. That's the one that means a sample was sent off for all kinds of ridiculous tests and such. I can't imagine SVI would submit a couple of their guns to such testing since they usually get ruined in the process.

BUT, if you do find out they are compliant, let me know when you order and I'll buy one two. I'm anxious to get my hands on a decent Limited gun. Right now I'm leaning towards buying the parts and having a smith build it. That ends up costing a few hundred bucks more than buying one outright and I dont' know whether or not you end up with a better gun.

Please share any info you find out with other MA shooters.

-Cuz.

Cape, Like Nick says, It can be done. If one Ma. res. has one, it CAN be transfered. (IE: private sale ). There are a couple of Ma FFL s that will do a transfer from another state ( SV ).

Is buying a new Glock still a problem in Mass. ???

Just curious.  :huh:

Glocks are not available new in MA at present. Glock obtained the necessary lab testing and offered guns for a few weeks earlier this year, but the AG's office declared that the extractor based loaded chamber indicator was not "effective", therefore, the gun was "not compliant with consumer protection regulations". Interestingly enough, the AG's office specifically REFUSES answer any "is this compliant" questions from dealers trying to figure out what they can sell, leaving the dealer to guess about terms such as "hand size of the average 5 year old", "effective", "multiple motions", "designed exclusively for formal target shootint competion", etc.

The AG did not go after the dealers, but pressured Glock into having a "recall". Recall returns are running about 50% - under the consumer protection regulations, the consumer is the victim of an unfair and deceptive trade practice for being sold a gun made after the magic 1998 date (it's a fair trade practice to sell an older one).

You can get an idea for the Glock market in MA by looking at www.fsguns.com/used, the web page of a dealer who sells a lot of used guns, including Glock pre-98 factory refurbs.