Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejection Issues

Hey all.

QC 10 GSF Lower with a Spinta bolt.  I've had 2 issues where the round doesn't eject.  Extractor pulled it out of the chamber because the next round loaded in while the empty case went vertical and yesterday even got wedged somehow in the bolt yesterday.  It creates quite a mess.

With the PSA bolt I haven't had this issue.  Best guess is the Spinta bolt has a little different ejector groove that the QC ejector is missing somehow on occasion OR perhaps the extractor tension is too light?  As in the round is falling out of the extractor after being pulled out of the chamber, but before hitting the ejector (seems unlikley).

Anyone been through this?

I am leaning towards the loose/chipped/worn extractor.  It is likely holding the brass well enough to extract it, but loses control when it hits the ejector.

While you are at it check that the ejector is tight and positioned correctly (not bent, chipped or worn).

15 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I am leaning towards the loose/chipped/worn extractor.  It is likely holding the brass well enough to extract it, but loses control when it hits the ejector.

While you are at it check that the ejector is tight and positioned correctly (not bent, chipped or worn).

QC ejectors have a lot of wiggle by design.  Since posting this I have called them and they suggested bending it slightly towards the right.

I do plan on tightening the extractor a bit.  This bolt has less than 1000 rounds on it, and the extractor is in good shape.

Edited by longbeard

Hello: Another thing to look for is if the bolt is actually rubbing on the ejector. Look for a shinny spot on the ejector. The two Colt lowers I have were just slightly rubbing on the bolts. It made a shinny spot about 1/8" long on the top of the ejector near the front. Filed it down about 0.010" and no more rubbing. I used a sharpy to cover the shinny spot to see if it was still rubbing. Thanks, Eric

Upon closer inspection...

The QC ejector with the Spinta bolt....  There is a gap between the ejector and the inside of the ejector groove on the bolt. 

With the PSA bolt it fits nice and snug without dragging.

I can't be sure, but I suspect there is enough play there for the ejector to not get good contact with the case.  Bending the ejector slightly would help, but would probably interfere with the other bolt.