Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide release vs frame mounted thumb rest

Wolfar15

What was said above is correct. I have seen one shooter struggle with his thumb locking the slide back when using the nitro fin. Easy enough to fix, but it happens. 

I went with a frame mount because it fits my hand better and because slide stops do break. I didn't want to spend $130 to carry a replacement.

As a plus for the nitro fin: zero commitment. If you don't like it, just pull it off. Also don't need to pay to have threaded holes put in your frame ($25 each hole from my local smiths)

Frame mounted.  That being said, I'm starting to take mine off.  I just took one off my Steel Challenge gun and I like it better.  Like KA, I like by thumb to be more horizontal.  In fact I like it pointed straight at the target. 

I originally put the thumb rests on because I thought I would have better recoil control and a consistent weak hand grip placement.  Neither turned out to be the case.  If you apply enough pressure to the rest to help 'control' recoil, the gun moves in strange ways.  I prefer the dot track straight up and down.  The 'stuff' about how a rest places your wrist in the best position to control muzzle flip is bogus.  I have better muzzle control with a good overlapping thumb grip.