Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifyers

dgsmith

A question if I might. I shoot a Glock in USPSA, but use a Ruger GP100 in IDPA. I was shooting a local USPSA match this past Sunday. The classifier was an array of 7 targets with some no-shoots thrown in. In my squad was a guy I shot wiht in the MD State IDPA match. He was using his 626. He asked my how I would shoot the COF if I was using my wheelgun. I told him I would shoot 6, reload 1 to finish he array, load 6, shoot and finally load 1 and finish. These are both non moon clipped guns, I use HKS speedloaders and he had Safaria I believe. He went with a full reload each time which meant dumping 5 rounds at then end of array. Does one method make more sense than another? I know with moon clips you have no choice.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

I would have to be there to see it to make sure, but I too have shot GP100 in IDPA and USPSA(some verry sparingly) Most likely would have shot 6 and reload with a complete 6 speedloader as that would help the reload to be consistant.

The bigest thing about revolvers, Speedloader and moonclip guns is the "CONSISTANT RELIABLE" reload and any way you can make that more "able" to happen you are just giving yourself that much more help.

Also let me add....

If in that array there were two targets wide open I might consider shooting one or two targets and then reloading and finishing out the stage. Esp if there was some movement where I could incorporate the reload into the movement even if it is just a step.(gains you time over a standing reload)

Hope that helps, but I would really have to see the stage/array.

SAM

Flex,

You know about Barry in JULY.... :wub:

If I had to guess, I'd say the revolver division is way overloaded with Senior and Super Senior members, and you also know how they like Barry in JULY ... :wub::wub:

Yes I'm sure we have our own whimps in Revolver division but I also seem to keep hearing from folks I talk to about how they wouldn't shoot revolver in USPSA because it is just TOO HARD !!!! ;)

See you at Barry in JULY !!!

HOPALONG

As a "new guy" to revo division and these forums, I still say to he77 with anyone who says it's too hard to shoot revolvers in USPSA... I get it from time to time with my practice partners (in good humor), but have heard many comments on it being a hard way to play the game...

Not too hard though, on just my third match with my bone stock 625 I did 03-05 (paper and poppers) in 10.85 at 49 points; hf of 4.5161 shooting a 190.2 PF (Winchester white box) 230grn FMJ......the best I think I have ever shot. Ever. Would I think of giving it up because it's hard? Naahh....just more challenging, like playing the saxophone while drunk....wait, I've done that too :D

Keep 'em consistent is what I've been told, and so far it seems to be working, USPSA doesn't penalize for leaving your live rounds behind

Bruce, the way you explained the stage it was 7 targets requiring 1 hit each THEN Reload and re-engage the same 7 targets? If so using the Safariland Comp III's it is just as fast to load 6 and not have to worry about getting the index right so as to bring the loaded cylinder to the firing position. I used a 586 and K frames for quite some years. Using a HKS it is about a wash I think but to me it's better to do the same mechanics when possible as repitition makes permanent. But that's just me.

It was the classifier called Madness, CM03-08, and you are correct it was 7 targets, 1 shot per, then a mandatory reload and re-engage t1-t7 with 1 round each.

One day I'll gather the courage to try the Ruger in a local USPSA match.

Bruce

Jerry, I took all three reloads (along with all the other wheelgunners).

I did T3, T4, reload, T2, T1 over the barrel.

Then same thing through the barrel.

My hits were sorta poor, 70 points in 13.70, for 5.1095.

Keith won the stage, with 77 points in 13.88, for 5.5476, proving it's smart to just slow down a whisker and get the hits. 

Not a good classifier, though, in my opinion.

HQ needs to remember there is a Revo division when they approve these things. 

Mike

Oddly enough, Mike, I did better on this classifier at Area 3 than I did at the special classifier under discusion, where according to the stage description, we did it incorrectly with only two reloads. At Area 3 I did it about half a second faster and with twice as many alpha's, while doing the third reload. I felt like I was pushing that gun as fast as I could possibly push it, and it is still only good for 65%, according to the calculator.

Sunday, at Area 3, I shot T1-T3 with two rounds, reloaded, shot T4 with two rounds, made the MANDATORY reload and did the same through the barrel.

Nice shooting, by the way, Mike.

Sam, too!

Keith

Thanks Keith--you too. I keep thinking about those misses you and I both had on that dang clamshell on Stage 2, and the mercenary side of me wishes it would have kept on raining so they would have had to toss the stage! :)

I knew John would be tough. Sam and I ran into him at the Rocky Mountain ICORE match out at Bud Bond's club back in May. Good guy and good shooter, and he proved that consistency pays off.

We look forward to shooting with you at Nat'ls! Only 11 more days!

Mike

Actually, Stage 8 was the one that did me in the most. It looked deceptively easy. But those tiny US poppers had some distance to them. Man. I couldn't hit them at all. I ended up leaving one of them standing when the gun went click instead of bang. I was ready to accept one miss on that stage. But, then I saw only one hole in the swinger after shooting at it 3 times. Then I saw a hole in the no shoot, which,sadly, lined up perfectly with the only hole in the swinger. So I did not get any points on the swinger for a total of 3 misses and a noshoot on that stage.

I do think that was the hardest match I have shot in a long time. At least with a revolver. Nationals last year was no picnic, but I was shooting production, not lim-6.

Looking forward to nationals.

See you then.

Keith

. I still don't think there's a bias against revolvers, just a indifference 

I shot a level III on the weekend and one of the competitors remarked how he hoped I wouldn't be on his squad cause revo shooters are so slow.

As it turned out he was in with the whiners and they did so many reshoots they finished 3 hours later than my squad on the last day. As he walked past me where I was sitting in the shade (bored silly) I mentioned to him that he couldn't have kept up if I'd been shooting a muzzle loader. :rolleyes:

I've only been shooting USPSA matches regularly since June of '04, but even during those 13 months, I think I've detected more acceptance and interest in wheelgunning from the group as a whole. The comments I overhear from shooters in other divisions seem to have gone from "why would anybody want to shoot one of them things" to "hey, it's pretty cool to watch those revolver guys do their thing." I really think we are experiencing something of a revolver renaissance.

I agree totally Mike,

One of the reasons why I chose to shoot Revo exclusively is because of what one of our "own" BE'ers said to me on my first ever IPSC match way back in Jan '03.

I still remember that comment "clearly". I wont go into detail on-line becuase of this persons status here. And yes, things have changed since then for the good.

Im here to stay!!

Dan

Revolver shooters still make fun of me and my tupperware.  Ya bunch of meanies.  :P  :D

Trust me, Flex.

You will never hear ME making fun of tupperware.

While I enjoy shooting the roundguns, I do miss shooting the Glock.

Oh. And the reloading part. I miss having to not reload quite so many times during a stage. :D

But, shooting a wheelgun has improved my overall shooting skills. There's something about only having 6 rounds that makes you go back to basics.