Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faxon bolt

I just bought one and ran it today for the first time in a USPSA match, no issues at all,,..I am in another steel match tomorrow, after the shoot I will pull the Faxon pin and compare it to the other 2 bolts I have... a Matrix and Spinta bolt and their firing pins next to the Faxon pin tomorrow for comparison during clean up .

1st impressions of the 2nd gen bolt

the machining and finish are top notch, the gas key is bolted on and staked

the AR extractor holds the case firmer than my psa bolt with the 1911 style extractor,  and it is held by a roll pin

the firing pin looks like a colt pattern

now the bad, I put it in a Brownells upper, with a PSA colt pattern lower, and it locked up solid, I found it was binding on the outside bevel of the feedramp, the top of the ejector and the top of the bolt catch, I filed all of those areas down to get the bolt to move freely 

i don't know if it was a issue with the bolt or the PSA parts

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, Ofishl1 said:

I just bought one and ran it today for the first time in a USPSA match, no issues at all,,..I am in another steel match tomorrow, after the shoot I will pull the Faxon pin and compare it to the other 2 bolts I have... a Matrix and Spinta bolt and their firing pins next to the Faxon pin tomorrow for comparison during clean up .

Ok, back to report,.. I just ran the AZ State PCC Championships ((long shots -187yards) yesterday with the Faxon Gen 2 bolt, the NFA sidecharger system ran flawless and so did the Faxon bolt, and since I could not get my hands on a Faxon FP in due time, I bought the CMMG FP's and for those in need it will fit the Faxon bolt and (my Spinta FP would npt) and here is how they stack up dimensionally

The Faxon FP had only about 700 rounds on it before the AZ PCC Match yesterday, add another 300+  at least from the Match...so roughly 1100 rounds on the bolt.

Notice in the pic, the Faxon FP is considerably shorter due to mushroom head, I have to assume the standard Faxon overall Pin length was 2.650 as well.

Regardless, since I don't know the extended travel distance the tip sticks out of the bolt, or how much wear it will take before I start getting light primer hits I just dropped the CMMG pin in today while cleaning the bolt. The Faxon Pin may run another 2000-3000 rounds, I don't know, but I don't want to find out in the middle of a match. The CMMG seems to work fine although generally the dimensions are larger in favor of the CMMG.

Will report back when this new Pin hits 1000 for wear comparisons, ..to me .020 of mushroom wear in a 1000 rounds seems extreme.

CMMG vs Faxon FP.jpg

Faxon FP at 1100 rounds.jpg

Edited by Ofishl1
spell

I would hope so, with that kind of shrooming...you would think it was made of aluminum, we will see how the CCMG fairs.

The one thing I have learned that FP pin and channel needs to be cleaned on a regular basis, 300 rounds ago I had not cleaned it since I put the bolt in in, and it started to misfire. I learned the hard way on the Spinta bolt that channel gets hot gas and carbon built up quickly in it and the pin will quit consistent ignition. I think there are quite a few new PCC shooters out there thinking they have trigger problems when this FP channel and FP needs maintenance. Every 500 hundred rounds at least.

I have been pulling it before every match, and it always looks like the pic above....YMMV.

Edited by Ofishl1

I went well over 1,000 without any issues, but did clean it this weekend.  What really surprised me was the firing pin protrusion from the bolt-face.  My pin barely protrudes, nothing like a 1911 pin, which can often protrude .1" or more.  If any significant amount of powder, carbon or fouling gets in the tunnel I can easily see how it could lead to misfires.