Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Little Things

bigdawgbeav

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but when you go to a match with dedicated RO's, what are some of the little things you like?  For example, I've gotten to a stage and the RO's were nice enough to have cookies or some candies for each squad when them come up.  Has anyone seen anything like this and what have you seen that is a nice touch?

Carolina Classic had one RO team that put the shooting order up on a small white board, wiped shooters name off at some point during their run. I liked that. Answers all those stupid things like do I have time to X, or how many are left if squad behind catches up.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I love it when the RO's are the ones who set the props (drop-turner, swinger, etc.)  They don't need to paste, but I hate having to reshoot when somone didn't set the prop correctly for a Range Equipment Failure.  RO's don't necessarily paste the targets, but knowing that the prop should work 99% of the time is nice.

When the score-keeper goes out of their way to make sure the On-Deck and In the hole shooters know they are coming up.  Many times they just yell out a loud sound and its hard to know what name they yelled.  It helps the match keep moving when shooters are ready to go and not downrange pasting targets, then doing the whole "I have to go grab mags", then I have a 90 second make ready because I didn't know I was up so have to visualize the stage which just adds time.

Having paint downrange for steel so you don't have to walk all the way down there to find out that all the paint cans are back on the table.

On 9/19/2017 at 7:11 AM, rowdyb said:

I've seen them bring a small generator and plug fans into it. That's a nice touch!

When I first saw this I laughed thinking you were kidding... After 3 days in the sun for the East Coast Steel Challenge Championships, I was seriously considering this.  1 quiet generator and a couple of large fans would have been a God send...

Always appreciated an RO that does not get bent out of shape answering the most simple questions from a competitor. Unless the RO personally knows a competitor, he/she does not know if they are talking to a GM or an inexperienced D shooter. This is a great sport where helping others seems to come easily with no hint of inconvenience.