Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird fail to eject Stock II

zombywoof

I've been getting these weird fail to eject lately. The fired case lands between the slide and barrel (similar to picture), the next round is partially chambered.

I have the extra power extractor spring, the extractor with the 9 on it. I've inspected the extractor and ejector, there is no damage. The extractor area is clean. It happens on different headstamps. It happens about once every 150 rounds. Of course that's twice on two level III matches and classifiers.

I can't think of anything that's changed to make this happen. I've stoned a few thousands off of the stop to tighten it up on the case. It was pretty tight to begin with.

Updates to follow.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

FTE.jpg

How firmly does it hold brass?

Any damage to the extractor or spring?

Did you remove extractor and clean the slot?

Any binding on slide motion? Are you using a long slide spring? They will coil bind and limit stroke.

Is there a burr at the guide rod / frame / barrel area? Could be hampering motion.

Did the ejector on sear cage  break?

How firmly does it hold brass?

Seemed to hold brass tight. Tip of extractor not touching inside of extractor groove in brass. Does now after stoning the stop

Any damage to the extractor or spring?

None seen

Did you remove extractor and clean the slot?

Cleaned. Within 500 rounds happened about every 150 rounds

Any binding on slide motion? Are you using a long slide spring? They will coil bind and limit stroke.

No binding. Noticed slight wear marks on inside of ejector, stoned lightly and polished.Using 9 lb standard Wolff spring.

Is there a burr at the guide rod / frame / barrel area? Could be hampering motion.

I see nothing. Slide moves smooth.

Did the ejector on sear cage  break?

No.

This is killing me. The gun is broken in and running sweet. This is a recent development and always comes at the wrong time. 

Feed it a new extractor spring and make sure that it isn't coil binding. You should be able to pull the extractor away from the seated position quite a bit when the extractor has sufficient travel. Some times the hole in the slide where the extractor spring goes isn't drilled deep enough and it will cause a coil bind situation when using extra power extractor springs. 

When I was shooting EAA pistols I would use the extra power extractor springs and proactively replace them every 10K to ensure reliable extraction.

The depth of the extractor to rim engagement is also very important to tune. The extractor hook should be pinching the rim of the case into the side of the breach face. Tune the depth of the extractor by removing material from the over travel "bump" on the base of the extractor.

Lastly, your extractor may simply be worn out. I have seen extractors fail prematurely (within 10K) and the only fix was to replace them. When I was shooting the EAA pistols there was an alarming amount of manufacturing variance from one extractor to another in both depth and hook shape. I had to fiddle with every single extractor to some extent to get it optimized in my guns. Unfortunately extractors are not simple drop in parts if you expect them to last many thousands of rounds with 100% reliability.  

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe I have solved the extraction problem. I've got several hundred rounds down the pipe with no problems.

I installed the original extractor, tuned it. I also replaced the extra power extractor spring. The old spring was much shorter than the new one.

I've lost track of round count, but it's somewhere around 7000. I had a hard time believing the spring gave out around 6000 rounds. A $3.50 spring caused me a lot of issues.

I will replace this component every 5000 rounds.