Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideways Primers ?

I routinely get one or two (per 100 rounds) primers that wind up in the primer disk

SIDEWAYS !

Of course nothing good can come of that.

They either wind up shoved into the case primer socket sideways, or worse...

Jam the shell plate.

It seems to happen with the large primers...I don't recall it happening when using small primers (though it might).

What can cause that?

Can I adjust it away ??

How ??

( Or is it just "one of those things that I have to learn to live with ?)

Is one or two per hundred excessive ??

A few things to check for flipped primers:

Be sure the primer seating punch/bushing assembly is completely threaded up into the underside of the platform. If backed out at all, then as the primer disc

rotates over the bushing there is room for a primer to drop, then the disc rotating turns it sideways.

Be sure the primer punch is somewhere between flush with the top of the bushing to no more than .020" below flush. It may be necessary to remove the punch/bushing assembly and clean and lube it.

Does this flipped primer happen only in one brand of brass? What brand of Primers? What caliber?

Do you notice primers sideways in the disc before it gets to the primer punch/bushing, or only when the loaded round has a sideways primer in it?

might be a good idea to push a cleaning patch soaked with alcohol thru the magazine tube until it comes out clean. :ph34r:

Yes, good idea to keep the mag tube clean...

But my primers got all hinky and sideways and every other manner of malfunctioning position when the little plastic magazine orifice wore out and wouldn't hold the primers tighltly enough in proper position any longer.

A few things to check for flipped primers:

Be sure the primer seating punch/bushing assembly is completely threaded up into the underside of the platform. If backed out at all, then as the primer disc

rotates over the bushing there is room for a primer to drop, then the disc rotating turns it sideways.

Be sure the primer punch is somewhere between flush with the top of the bushing to no more than .020" below flush. It may be necessary to remove the punch/bushing assembly and clean and lube it.

Does this flipped primer happen only in one brand of brass? What brand of Primers? What caliber?

Do you notice primers sideways in the disc before it gets to the primer punch/bushing, or only when the loaded round has a sideways primer in it?

might be a good idea to push a cleaning patch soaked with alcohol thru the magazine tube until it comes out clean. :ph34r:

Thank you Dillon (Whoever you are)................

I will check all of those things!

re your third suggestion:

When, where and how (sight angle): can I observe the "on deck" primer before it gets to the primer punch/bushing.

I can't remember ever getting a window/opportunity for a look at it , at THAT point in the sequence.

My only indication that "something bad has happened" other than the resultand bad round when boxing my finished batch; is A "rough" primer seat and/or a slight to severe "jam" in the shellplate rotating.

Yes, good idea to keep the mag tube clean...

But my primers got all hinky and sideways and every other manner of malfunctioning position when the little plastic magazine orifice wore out and wouldn't hold the primers tighltly enough in proper position any longer.

Please point me to the "little plastic magazine orifice".

ie: Part number on an assembly drawing if you could

or just amore detailed description.

"SigLady" is good..................I have three!

Which press are you using?  Did I miss that?

I am using a Dillon 650

Also check the locator tab on the primer station there should be only about .010 clearance from an inserted case. A standard business card works good to set these up. (If there is too much clearance the shell wont be centered and can cause this problem.)

The 650 does not have a plastic magazine orifice, unlike all other Dillon Reloaders. The 650 has a machined brass end. There is a gap about 1/2 a primer wide between the edge of the shellplate and the station 2 locator tab where the primer may be viewed. :ph34r: