Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Safety besides the CZCustom for TS Orange?

Pathfinder1

Does anyone know of an available extended safety for the CZ Tactical Sports Orange besides the one sold by CZ Custom? That thing is monstrous and I've heard some reports it was either too large or had to be filed down, (which is what I may have to do). I love everything about the new TS Orange except the safety design. I've heard this complaint from others too. Awkward to reach especially if your used to the excellent placement of 1911 safeties. Anyway is there another available option/design from some other manufacturer that someone knows of? Thanks.

In my experience (I use a TS in Limited and a Czechmate in Open) If you are using a thumb rest and have a high strong grip you will engage the extended safety when you don't intend to. Even if your strong thumb is riding the safety.

This happens on my TS even AFTER filing down the safety, so I went back to a standard safety.

I am keeping the standard safety on my TSO (which will replace the TS for matches starting this weekend) 

I just installed the filed down extended safety on my Czechmate to see if it works on that.

BTW, its primarily the profile of the safety underside that causes it to be engaged inadvertently - not the width or length.

Edited by selecw

53 minutes ago, 858 said:

So Muncie, you"re sure that Shadow 2 extended safety will fit the TS Orange? I guess that a TSO in your picture.

Went to the CZ USA site and it's looks nice. $50 with a flat right side which I like. I don't like ambi safetys anyway.

I can't speak for everyone, however the 'extra' safeties that came with my factory Shadow 2, did indeed fit (with no modifications) my Tactical Sport Orange.  I've been shooting this configuration for ~2 months or 1000+ rounds, with no issues.

5 hours ago, Pathfinder1 said:

So here's an update. I just spoke with someone at CZ-USA and they said that they didn't think their Shadow 2 extended safety would fit the TSO. Dan I think it was that answered.

I can echo exactly what muncie said with my experience.  The extended safety that came with my S2 fit directly and easily onto my TSO, and worked perfectly, no fitting required.

10 hours ago, selecw said:

have a high strong grip you will engage the extended safety when you don't intend to. Even if your strong thumb is riding the safety.

I got pissed at this with my TS and removed a tiny bit of material where the safety engages the sear. Lets say with the safety off its at 0° and fully engaged its at 30°, before i removed material the safety would engage at 1°, now its probably 5-7° before it engages. No more accidental safety applications.

5 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

Can confirm that the S2 wide safety fits the TSO. I'm competing at the World Shoot with this very setup right now. It also fits the box with a stock right hand safety too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great to know. Seems to me that one could assume then that the "Extended Safety" (comes with left and right side) that can be purchased for the Shawdow 2 from CZ-USA's website for $50 should fit my TSO. I also like the fact that this one is flat on the right side, i.e. as it appears not ambi. Is there any reason anyone could think of why this one from CZ-USA wouldn't fit, according to what Matt1 said and others. Sounds like it's OK to order one unless I hear otherwise. Thanks Matt1

If anyone has seen the Extended Safety above mentioned on CZ-USA site, I'd appreciate your take on it. 

4 hours ago, Matt1 said:

Can confirm that the S2 wide safety fits the TSO. I'm competing at the World Shoot with this very setup right now. It also fits the box with a stock right hand safety too.

Glad to see you're helping to represent the US in the WS, let us know how it goes!

@Pathfinder1do it! The worst that can happen is there's a set of safeties for sale on the board :)

Edited by muncie21

I got pissed at this with my TS and removed a tiny bit of material where the safety engages the sear. Lets say with the safety off its at 0° and fully engaged its at 30°, before i removed material the safety would engage at 1°, now its probably 5-7° before it engages. No more accidental safety applications.
Tony,

Please let me know a bit more about where you removed the material to stop the early engagement. I too, am having the problem.

I assume you filed the safety, not the sear. Where? Did you change any angles?

I'm new to CZs and not a gunsmith, but... I have a file set.

6 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Glad to see you're helping to represent the US in the WS, let us know how it goes!

@Pathfinder1do it! The worst that can happen is there's a set of safeties for sale on the board :)

Thanks Muncie. Need help though. I don't want to appear to be doing too much hand wringing over this, but could someone please help me by looking at the Extended Safety  purchase I'm about to make from CZ-USA at http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465423250012_Extended-Safety-Set-Shadow-2,  take a look, and give me the "final" take...hopefully it will work. I can't see why not, being so many said their S2 safeties fit the TSO. Just take a look and let me know? I ask this because I wonder why the guy that answered the phone at CZUSA when I called, said he didn't think it would work, but after talking to all you guys the contrary appears to be true. Thanks for your feed back guys.

2 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Tony,

Please let me know a bit more about where you removed the material to stop the early engagement. I too, am having the problem.

I assume you filed the safety, not the sear. Where? Did you change any angles?

I'm new to CZs and not a gunsmith, but... I have a file set.

Tried to post a pic but I ran out of patience. If you take the slide off and engage the safety you'll see a raised section on the safety that rotates under the sear on the left side of the gun (from behind it). All I did was put a small radius on the leading edge of that raised section with some 600 grit sandpaper. It didn'tt take much to get it where I wanted it so go slow.

Tried to post a pic but I ran out of patience. If you take the slide off and engage the safety you'll see a raised section on the safety that rotates under the sear on the left side of the gun (from behind it). All I did was put a small radius on the leading edge of that raised section with some 600 grit sandpaper. It didn'tt take much to get it where I wanted it so go slow.
Thanks, I know what you mean about sanding the radius, AND what you are saying about the picture posting.