Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Pistol Primers In .45acp

renaissance7697

I just read somewhere that Winchester is going to start using "SMALL Pistol Primers" in their .45 acp........

Bummer ....if this is true.

When reloading with Indoor range "pick up Brass"....(mine and others that get mixed in)....................How would we separate the "small" from the "large" primer socketed cases ??????

Can one "visually" tell one from the other; reliably ??

Would one have to "measure" (go-nogo gauge ??) ????

PITA !

Hope this does NOT come to past !

What do you all think ???

I don't know about all 45 Auto changing to small diameter primers, but the non-toxic or lead free stuff from Federal and Winchester changed a while back. Federal NT is crimped as well. This was two to three years back, as I recall.

It means that a visual inspection will be needed to separate the cases. The diameters are different enough that visual should be adequate.

Guy

I have been reloading some of the .45 NT brass, and using it at ranges where the range conditions mean I loose the majority of my brass. I get the NT from a few different LE agencies, so I know it hasn't been reloaded before I get it. Seems to work just fine, but I don't know if I would want to use it at a major match where I would have to chrono.

Once you get in the habit of looking at the case to see if there are any NT mixed in with them it goes really fast. As a rule the NT will always have a silver colored primer, where all of my reloads have standard Winchester primmers which are copper color.

Lead free from Winchester and Federal (NT stuff), and .45 GAP use small primers, don't know of any others. Visual inspection works to seperate. (If you get a small primer pocket brass on your press and try to put a large primer in it... no fun...)