Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate Arms Number 7 And 115s

Harmon

gun is SV with five port hybrid schuemann hybricomp barrel, 7-8 port comp( its a big long gun)

the question is, has anyone used accurate #7 with 115s at major in a gun like this?

I have a couple pounds of the stuff and some 115 MG JHPs from the days i shot production(though it wasnt the softest loads, it was very very accurate)

I just wonder if im gonna be able to get enough powder in the case to get the requisite 1435 fps to make major(just checked 12.0 grains fits!)

I see one load with Accurate #7 that make it in Jmaass' load list. 11.6 grains and a 115 fmj made 165.6 in a 6 inch tribrid gun..

It might take a full 12.0 grains to get it there...and with five hybrid holes and a 8port comp...i can imagine its going to be LOUD!

Im gonna get the gun this weekend, gonna start with about 10 grians and start chronoing.

When i get rid of these 115s, ill probably shoot 4756 and 124s.. B)

harmongreer,

i used aa#7 for many years with the 115gr jhp, then switched to imr 7625. i really liked aa7 but it was really dirty. but that's not why i quit using it. i quit using aa7 because it would bind up the powder charge bar on my dillon. seems you have to really polish the charge bar and keep it really clean to use aa7.

lynn

as for the binding powder bar, do you have an older measure that has the springs on it?

shred, some of what benny told the guy im getting the gun from is pushing me towards using the powder

As for the powder being dirty..you would think it would clean up the more you pushed it, unless major in super isnt pushing it. :huh:

I use AA7 with 115's in my STI Open gun with 3 hillbilly ports in the slide.

I have some signs of high pressure, but not too bad.

It is dirty though. I'm swithing to another powder because of that. I'm going to HS7 after i sell 16 lbs of AA7.

The dirtiness didn't bother me until I put the ports in the slide. When I didn't have the ports, the gun would run 500 to a 1000 rounds before cleaning. Now with the ports and AA7, it needs cleaning every 200 rounds or it might quit running. I was using 11.65 grains of AA7 with 115's at 1.250 OAL.

I'm going back to 124's.

As for the powder bar: You will need to cut a sheet of paper and install it above the stationary powder bar as a shim. That fixed my problem with the Dillon 550 powder bar from locking up with such a fine powder like AA7. Use the bar as a template and cut out the paper just a 1/16 smaller than the bar. I hope I'm making sense.

RJ

I also used AA#7 to break in my new gun. On Benny's recommendation, but it is just too dirty. I am trying 7625 and very happy with it so far. I was using 11.8 gr with Zero 115 and making a 168 pf. I have a 5" gun with just the comp and no barrel holes. I think I loaded to 1.230 oal, rounds had some feeding issues at 1.250 shortening them up a bit fixed it. Also brought the pf up to 170. I do really like the 124 or 125 gr bullet also. I want to make up a load for them also.

Mike

It is dirty though.  I'm swithing to another powder because of that.  I'm going to HS7 after i sell 16 lbs of AA7. 

I have not tried AA7, but I have tried HS7, and it's pretty dirty for me on a 9mm open gun with 2 barrel ports. I believe others have the same issues with HS7 too.

Carl

the gun is a real Schuemann hybrid barrel, not a regular barrel with "holes" in it. (shouldnt have the same issues as ron with burning gasses passing through a hole or slot cut in the slide, hence its gonna shoot cleaner)

Looks like this might be a good gun for HS6...although only the chrono will tell.

Im gonna scrounge up a can of 3N37 to try, but with 115s and a five port hybricomp barrel and 8 port comp, i have a feeling its gonna be like ground zero at the Los Alamos test site....big fireballs.

Ron, as far as HS7 goes, i dont think its going to be much cleaner

While im at the nationals, im probably gonna be getting Several VV powders to try(3N38 is gonna be 1st on the list) ;)

3n38

3n37

N350

N105

Also gonna try some ramshot stuff....Al capizzo might let me borrow a few rounds to test :huh:

harmongreer,

the vv 3n38 is the way to go if you want to use vv powder. stay away from vvn105. if your going to use the vv powder, i use the 124 gr this reduces the flash.

right now i use imr 7625, 8.1grs with the 115 gr jhp montana gold. no flash and very consistant velosity.

lynn

Is 3n37 or 3n38 the slower powder? I understand that you want the powder to be burning as it is coming out of the ports. I guess to act as a rocket engine kinda. If the powder is too fast it will burn up before getting to the ports. So if 3n38 is the slower powder and really clean, then I'll try that one for starters.

Ron J

stay away from vvn105.  if your going to use the vv powder, i use the 124 gr this reduces the flash.

I tested some N105 loads today. When I turned arround, others were standing with marshmellows and straightened out coat hangers. Didn't chrono, too much flash for me w/124gr jhp.

Is 3n37 or 3n38 the slower powder?  I understand that you want the powder to be burning as it is coming out of the ports. I guess to act as a rocket engine kinda.  If the powder is too fast it will burn up before getting to the ports.  So if 3n38 is the slower powder and really clean, then I'll try that one for starters.

Ron J

3n38 is the slower of the two..

I believe it goes from fast to slow:

N340,3n37, N350, 3n38 and N105...i could have confused the Last two.. im not real sure(not a big burn rate fan....means nothing...)

as far as working comps, all the powder should be burnt by the time it gets to the end of the barrel. however its still expanding.

I feel like a major power load with slow powders(and alot of IT) is gonna hit you in the hand harder, be louder but have slightly less muzzle flip...

whereas a faster powder(like 7625) is gonna have more flip but is gonna be softer and quieter.

who knows??damned open gun has me all confused :unsure:

10.0 grains and 115 MG jhp at 1.225 oal, cci small pistol too light to operate the gun....and this gun has a light recoil spring.

8.0 4756 and a 124 CMJ, getting better, but still minor..

i borrowed 15 rounds of Ken Hicks' match ammo...9.2 grains 4756 and a 124 fmj..

Sweet load..

gun doesnt have much(if any) more recoil than the minor loads

gonna try some 7625 and see how that works out..

AA7 is now low on the list of powders to use B)

I loaded up 200 rds of 115 gr bullets loaded with 7625. Shot them all this weekend. I really like the load much better than the AA#7 loads. I have a 5" gun with no barrel ports and a Beddell comp. Shoots nice and soft, and flat enough. It is also alot cleaner than te AA#7 loads. I made major with just 7.7 gr and a 115. Also loaded some 121 gr bullets on the same charge and they felt the same. I am going to get 2,000 of the 124 gr bullets to try next.

Mike