Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 125gr sns coated

JustinLawson

I'm looking for some input on loading 125gr sns coated 9mm using cfe pistol.

I'm fairly new to reloading. I started out using the 125gr bullets using ramshot zip powder. I loaded up 1700 rds without any problems but now want to switch to cfe powder. I wanted to use something more common and easy to find. 

Anyways I'm having a hard time finding any data on the the 125gr coated bullets with cfe powder. Anyone have any data or helpful input for me?  A starting amount to use? I currently load to an OAL of 1.115 and shoot it out of my cz shadow target. 

Thanks 

Edited by JustinLawson

Pull .1 or .2 off the mimimum powder charge for an FMJ and you usually have a pretty good starting point for the same weight of coated bullet.

If you're starting down at the minimum end of things, you're certainly not going to create a dangerous situation with that first load.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot about 7k with CFE-P at 5.0g and 1.130". Good accuracy from G19 factory barrel and Bar-sto barrel, and a CZ P10c. As good as the Bayou 124 TC. The red coating SNS uses seems harder than some other colors Of Hi-tek I've had. Also, the combo leaves the bore very clean.

1069fps  Bar-sto

Edited by mq105

I'm doing the same with Precision Bullets, same weight, RN, and using CFE Pistol. The Hodgdon data shows 4.4gr to 5.0gr, and a COL of 1.125".

Since I had been using a COL of 1.132" with 115gr plated bullets, I decided to do the same. I made 10 each of 4.2 (saw FMJ with that so started low) 4.4, 4.6, and 4.8. The OAL was 1.132-1.136". I didn't get great accuracy with each load, except the 4.8gr, which was closer to what I was getting with 115gr plated. Also, my velocities were low, with the 4.8 at 1040 fps, with a 4" barrel. The Hodgdon data showed start at 1041 and max 1156 fps. Not sure if it was 4" or 5" barrel - will check. The 115gr I used, for reference, was giving 1139 fps on my 4" barrel.

I'm wondering if I should go up to 5.0, and possible 5.1 or 5.2gr, or if I should reduce the OAL to 1.125" and go back to 4.4 and see how velocities and groupings look.

Any suggestions?

Also, would there be any issues with cycling through the gun with a shorter OAL, given the current OAL works fine in both my guns?

Making the load shorter is the last thing I would try, assuming you determined your OAL from your chamber. I've found that my accuracy with CFE-P increases as charge increases, up to 5.0. I've shot up to 5.3g with no pressure signs and increasing velocity. This is with the SNS and the longer OAL.

I checked that the cartridge fit in both barrels I have (4" and ~3"). Seems to cycle fine. They gauge well too, and the gauge has tighter tolerances than my barrels. The 115gr is at a higher velocity and I have a more accurate shot with them (testing at 10 yards). I was just wondering if I should drop to 1.125", which is what the Hodgdon book had for CFE Pistol and LRN (granted a different bullet).

I guess I can try 4.8 gr (again), and then 5.0 (the max in book) and see what velocity it shows,