Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longer OAL without reaming

B21

I've been running 124g Xtreme plated and as the cost continues to rise I've decided to give coated projectiles a try. With the Xtreme, I'm able to load to 1.150 in my Stock 2.  Just bought a 250 round sample pack of Blue Bullets 125g RN and have to seat them at 1.080, seems deep for the fast powders we like.  

Have you guys found any luck with any other brand of coated projectiles, BBI,  SNS, Acme or others that are able to seat a little Longer? I know its going to vary a bit from barrel to barrel. I prefer 124/125 grain but 147 will work too.  Just curious if buying a ton of varieties to try is worth it, or if my barrel needs to take a road trip to Patriot Defense.  The 40 bucks for a ream is cheap, but if a certain manufactures profile works a little better in the Stock 2s I'd rather just load those for now.  

Thanks,

Pete

Just do the barrel reaming, it's cheap and nothing but beneficial, there's no reason not to.  If you don't want to mail it off, find a local gunsmith who can do it, I ended up having one of mine done locally and one at PD.

That's the way I was leaning.  Guess I'll run to the post office and send it off.  Just called PD and they usually have a 1 day turn around.  So a week ish without it won't kill me.  

The BBI 125gr TC will let you load out to 1.130" in pretty much anything. 

An M&P has a chamber that required 1.090"ish with a round nosed 124, but feed it a conical profile and:

IMG_6155.thumb.JPG.c83d108a4e19c3aeecb783f35727530b.JPG

It spins freely all the way out at 1.150"

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The BBI 125gr TC will let you load out to 1.130" in pretty much anything. 

An M&P has a chamber that required 1.090"ish with a round nosed 124, but feed it a conical profile and:

IMG_6155.thumb.JPG.c83d108a4e19c3aeecb783f35727530b.JPG

It spins freely all the way out at 1.150"

Try different bullet profiles before reaming. Round nose bullets are notorious for differing profiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after going back and forth I just sent the barrel off to PD.  Also ordered all the PD goodies, now on to polishing the new parts!  Appreciate all the info fellas! 

8 hours ago, B21 said:

So after going back and forth I just sent the barrel off to PD.  Also ordered all the PD goodies, now on to polishing the new parts!  Appreciate all the info fellas! 

Good choice, now you won't have to worry about it and can run whatever ammo you choose.  I run Blue Bullets 147gr round nose and those stuck like glue at anything other than a really short OAL, now I'm loading to 1.140" and the velocity is consistent and accuracy is fine.

Pick a bullet with a long skinny ogive like the one pictured above or something else.  The Ogive on the Blue Bullets I tried (147) jammed into the rifling on my Glock.  I switched to Precision Delta's and have not have the first problem.  Blue Bullets took my order back and were very nice about the whole process and, to be fair, there are a lot of Blue Bullet fans out there.  My thoughts are if you have to ream the damn barrel to use a standard weight bullet and run a SAAMI COAL, I am changing bullets.  I don't like loading such a small case that short anyway.

I don't know what the Blue Bullets cost but if you buy 2000 of the Precision Delta 124 HP's there $88/1000 delivered .  Thats a real bullet, not plated or coated.  That may be a little more but I think its worth it.  I don't know the other prices I have stuck with them for a couple of years now.

Most of the tapered cone profile 125-135 weight bullets, from the coated bullet makers, will let you load plenty long in shorter-chambered guns.

Fat round-nosed profiles are the troublemakers. As an example using a semi short-chambered M&P? (Not quite as short as a CZ or Tanfo)

Acme 124 RN needed to be shorter than 1.110" to chamber.

Black Bullets 125 TC spin freely at 1.150"

Following that, I'm quite confident that you could load in the  1.125"-1.135" neighborhood for a factory Tanfoglio barrel all day long.

IMG_3076.JPG.5e8bc98981ca7a9918d9487c7b53611e.JPG

IMG_3075.thumb.GIF.738cdf7e3d893dbfad32b7611a781a0a.GIF

Those images should be pinned in a post in the reloading section. Very clearly address why max OAL must be measured for every barrel and load. 

Now that the OP has a reamed barrel it's time to try out those Blue 147's and compare them to 124's and 135's to find out which weight produces the best sight tracking and grouping on target. Once you get your favorite load, set your press and load.

Agreed.

I found I heavily preferred a 124/125gr bullet over the 147 in a Stock 3. The gun is so heavy and recoil so light - there's almost no difference in snappiness between the 124 and the 147.

After running a few hundred of each through the gun in the same weekend, I liked the quicker cycling speed and sight tracking of the 124s.

Most of the tapered cone profile 125-135 weight bullets, from the coated bullet makers, will let you load plenty long in shorter-chambered guns.

Fat round-nosed profiles are the troublemakers. As an example using a semi short-chambered M&P? (Not quite as short as a CZ or Tanfo)

Acme 124 RN needed to be shorter than 1.110" to chamber.
Black Bullets 125 TC spin freely at 1.150"

Following that, I'm quite confident that you could load in the  1.125"-1.135" neighborhood for a factory Tanfoglio barrel all day long.

IMG_3076.JPG.5e8bc98981ca7a9918d9487c7b53611e.JPG

IMG_3075.thumb.GIF.738cdf7e3d893dbfad32b7611a781a0a.GIF

Have the full, original article of this from way back when. Great info. Newer version in '13 in a Guns and Ammo Annual. Cannot find it on-line unfortunately. May try to by magazine online to the newer version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk