Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off Center Flash Holes

Ken6PPC

Does anyone besides my OCD self get concerned about flash holes like these in the picture?  

IMG_2481.JPG

I KNOW I wouldn't want to use cases with flash holes that far off for precision rifles, but for short range pistol, does it matter?  I mean, they fired before I resized them, and I don't know of them causing problems.  (Of course, I COULD claim they caused my misses....)  

If I was loading on a progressive (using a T-7), I probably wouldn't have even found them.  I noticed a slight hesitation when the decapping pin hit the side of the flash hole, and looked at them.  

Anyway, are these problems to be culled out, or "fuhgeddaboudit"?  

Since the primer explosion does not emanate in the center of the primer I don't see where it could make a difference. As long as there is a hole for the hot gas and sparks to escape into the powder that is really all that matters. They should have named those "Imperfecta"

Edited by bowenbuilt

I know some people get all OCD about this stuff. For long distance rifle I wouldn't use them, but for a pistol I use them. I've seen the offset primer hole from time to time on pistol rounds I just reload and shoot them. You can tell during depriming, the press hangs up a little sometimes.  

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I do run the Lee die - but with the Lee pins.  I'll try the Squirrel Daddy pins after I break the 6 Lee pins I presently have, probably be awhile.

Thanks for the information !

They're worth it. When you hit a crimped primer or a 22LR jammed down inside a 9mm case or whatever, it just drives the decapping pin up through the jam nut, no matter how tight you set it. The tip won't just bend over anymore.

I marked mine just above the jam nut on top of the die with a small notch from a hand file so that I don't need to have a piece of brass in the die to find my primer punch depth anymore:

Loosen jam nut, reposition that notch just above the die, tighten, pitch the problem case, and resume loading. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

Edited by MemphisMechanic