Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is The Best Load For 9mm Steel

hello every one,

I need help on steel load. i have an sti whith a lightened slide, fluted barrel,cmore

and yanek comp. first time steel challenge. and your average ipsc B shooter.

1) is it worth it to buy a marvel .22 conversion to use for practice? or is it

better to practice with 9mm steel load.money is no object

2)how do i get the gun to shoot like a .22 from 9mm {what is the best steel load

with lowest possible recoil}

i tried a 5lbs spring and cut 2 coils for a factory pmc 9mm load. its ok but is

there a lower load than this? have lots of 124g zero bullet with vvn350 i use this

for ipsc load but never tried to load for steel..

ANY RESPONSE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

1) is it worth it to buy a marvel .22 conversion to use for practice? or is it

better to practice with 9mm steel load.money is no object

Marvels are nice but you will have to re-sight in your gun everytime you change top ends. (i have one on an limited gun with a c-more on it, might be a better way to go)

2)how do i get the gun to shoot like a .22 from 9mm {what is the best steel load

with lowest possible recoil}

try some faster powders like n320, titegroup or WST. these have worked well for me in super, probably will be fast enough for 9mm. you could try 115's

unless your slide is really really light , you might have to use a 7 lb. spring so that the cycling is not too clunky.

James

Ill second the 231 for that application..

WST works good too, its just hard for me to get enough in a 9mm case to cycle the gun without going overpressure(i guess thats why winchester left WST out of the 9mm loads)

WW231 with a 125 grain berrys .357 sig bullet is plenty cheap and REALLY ACCURATE!

i dont know how it was on powerfactor i just know it was 4.5 grains and it cycled the gun(glock 34, factory barrel and spring)

if i were shooting a 9mm comp gun, it would be some 90-108 grain bullets and some 231...

for these low powerfactor loads, i think the old school powders will work great.

bullseye,

700X

Todd jarrett told me Clays in the 9mm with a light bullet is his steel load..didnt get into the specifics though.

I found CLays to be a little brisk, and showed early signs of overpressure.

My Dad has used 231 and a 124gr CN Lead for years. 1000fps on the money (4.1gr in his Tanfoglio P19).

Real gentle and they all go together.

I like TG with a 115gr JHP in many a 9mm. Snappy and accurate.

• 3 years later...