Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips

Greg in VA

I just picked up a nice 627 V-8 in 38/357, and was wondering about moon clips? Which clips are the best to use, I use Starline brass almost always. The clips that came with the gun work fine with winchester brass, they seem to hold it nice and tight so a reload is easy and fast, but the starline brass wobbles around in the clip and reloading the gun is a pain any suggestions?

Greg

Greg,

Talk to Dave Hearth at Hearthco.

good luck.

SAM

X2

I just completed my 8 shot set up with 50 of Dave's clips. They are brass sensitive. I have no Starline so I did not test that but as far as I can see RP and Federal work the best.

Great service, great product, fair price.

Regards,

Gary

Contact Dave directly. He is very responsive to his customers and a great guy/good shooter. TK Custom is another alternative. If you can get to the proprietor, he is very forthcoming with info and a great guy/good shooter. TK carries Hearthco clips.

As many have said, the Heathco clips are the best.

Brownells also has their own clips which I have found to work very well with

Starline brass.

I have over 100 clips I think, not sure where they all came from, the Brownells

work great with the starline, I have not tried Heathco's yet.

If you find some you like find a way to mark them so they don't get lost with your

other clips (been there, done that).

• 4 weeks later...
I just picked up a nice 627 V-8 in 38/357, and was wondering about moon clips? Which clips are the best to use, I use Starline brass almost always. The clips that came with the gun work fine with winchester brass, they seem to hold it nice and tight so a reload is easy and fast, but the starline brass wobbles around in the clip and reloading the gun is a pain any suggestions?

Greg

I just bought 22 8 shot moonclips today for $51.00 at The Handgunner in Topton, PA, ( 610-682-6714) They seem to match the 3 originals that came with my 627PC.

Ask for Randy

I whole heartedly agree with what others say about Dave Hearth's moonclips. The reason I find them superior is because Dave cuts his clips using a wire EDM. This allows him to have absolute control over the clip dimensions. I trust his clips enough that I used brand new ones for the IRC. My only regret is that two of them got stepped on . :angry:

His clips hold the cartridges in tighter alignment with less wobble, so reloading the cylinder seems faster...at least that's my experience. The cartridges won't snap in by hand on the 38spl. if you use R-P or Federal brass( I use R-P) which may be an issue for non competition shooters on a weekend out at the public bullseye range. But if you compete where speed reloads can save you precious seconds, Dave's clips are worth their weight in gold.

If you use Starline brass, and wish to have the cases fit tighter in the clips, Dave can make you clips with dimensions to accomodate that brass. I don't know any other manufacturer who can or will do this.

Another shameless plug for Hearthco Moonclips.

• 2 months later...

All this talk on other threads, I figured I would add to this one. I recently found that Ranch Products now markets 8 round moon clips at 50 for $50 post paid. When I get them, I will let you kniow how they work. I have a bunch of Winchester Brass that I hope they work on.

Regards,

All this talk on other threads, I figured I would add to this one.  I recently found that Ranch Products now markets 8 round moon clips at 50 for $50 post paid.  When I get them, I will let you kniow how they work.  I have a bunch of Winchester Brass that I hope they work on.

Regards,

I have ~50 of the Ranch clips - they´re not working with the Starline brass in .38SC (as mentioned in the other thread) - if the cut of the .38Spl Starline brass is the same - they are not the best way! With my G.F.L brass (Fiocchi) in .38Spl they are OK

best,

Sascha

All this talk on other threads, I figured I would add to this one.  I recently found that Ranch Products now markets 8 round moon clips at 50 for $50 post paid.  When I get them, I will let you kniow how they work.  I have a bunch of Winchester Brass that I hope they work on.

Regards,

I have ~50 of the Ranch clips - they´re not working with the Starline brass in .38SC (as mentioned in the other thread) - if the cut of the .38Spl Starline brass is the same - they are not the best way! With my G.F.L brass (Fiocchi) in .38Spl they are OK

best,

Sascha

Thanks Sascha,

It will be a long time before I need brass in 38spl. I still have about two 5 gallon buckets full and a lot is once fired Winchester.

With that in mind, the cheaper the moon clip the better for me for local matches where they get stepped on.

Regards,

Gary