Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computers Screwing Up A Sport

Chriss Grube

Where are the good old days of fill out your slot and squad list and send it in you shoot with the people on the list. Was it that hard that we had to reinvent the damn wheel and screw it up with a pin and computer base. Keep shooting simple and ban the damn computer geeks!

I am all for ya Chriss! If you do the score keeping, registration and squadding.

But if you want me to help with the stats, registration and squadding we are going to use all the technology I can scrape together. It's a royal pain, someone has to do it and no one has offered me $50 an hour yet. Not to mention I can not shoot worth a damn and work a match. This is supposed to be fun!!

As far as computers screwing up a sport, I hate that too.......

Where are the good old days of fill out your slot and squad list and send it in you shoot with the people on the list. Was it that hard that we had to reinvent the damn wheel and screw it up with a pin and computer base. Keep shooting simple and ban the damn computer geeks!

Which matches will you be offering to handle registration and squadding assignments for next year? That is not a rhetorical question, but a serious one. Have you contacted your Area Championship match director and offered your services handling competitor correspondence, squadding, and dealing with the people who show up claiming their mailed in request was not honored and must be corrected at the match?

--------------------------------

As to the nationals - when I was at Sedro earlier this year and offered the system, I did not have any idea how close to the match the actual deployment would occur. I did not anticipate it being put into action only with only a 16 day window for competitor use, and had hoped for more advance notice. I can assure you that everyone involved will learn from the experience. Feedback should be directed to Dave Thomas at USPSA HQ and Michael Voigt. The USPSA President has full nationals authority and HQ handles registration and squadding.

I am certain there will be improvements next year.

--------------------------------

The squadding system was not originally created for the nationals, but was done in response to sheer frustration with the process of manually squadding a match. Even if you post "all shooters wishinhg to be squadded together must register together" in the ad, you *STILL* get notes "squad me with Joe who registered last month", or "save a slot in my squad for John who will be sending in his registration. That's not to mention the number of requests from "A" to be squadded with "B" which, in many cases, are not known to "B" and are inconsistent with the people"B" really wants to shoot with.

If you want to hear some serious complaining, just start enforcing an "applications must arrive together" procedure.

---------------------------------

I realize the Nationals is a special case and will be evaluated differently, however, the feedback I received from the Area 7 squadding procedure was almost universally positive. I say "almost" because there were three people who made it clear they preferred the old way of doing things.

---------------------------------

As to "computers screwing up a sport". We will not hit 100.00% on everything we try. Some things will be great right out of the gate; others will need improvements and some may require some rethinking.

But, if you think back to the days before computers screwed up the sport:

- Major match results would arrive by mail weeks after the event. Now it is not uncommon to have the results make it to the web before you get home.

- The only way to find out details of your classification record was to call HQ and get them to look up the data.

- Classifeier scores were sent in on paper and manually entered by Sedro.

- The only communication from the board and HQ was by telephone or Front Sight magazine.

This NOT a debate!  The guy can HATE whatever he wants!  Check the Hate Forum rules for clarification.

-ld

yes, lets read the rules... and here they are...

New Hate Criteria (09.10.04):

Posts involving firearms or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, the NRA, or other shooters - are specifically NOT PERMITTED.

If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

I'm sorry for this restriction, which may limit a few reasonable hate rants, but I don't feel it's appropriate for the forum's well being or content in general.

Any questions ?

This NOT a debate!  The guy can HATE whatever he wants!  Check the Hate Forum rules for clarification.

-ld

Posts involving firearms or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, the NRA, or other shooters - are specifically NOT PERMITTED.

If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

I'm sorry for this restriction, which may limit a few reasonable hate rants, but I don't feel it's appropriate for the forum's well being or content in general.

Any questions ?

So we can't hate computerized squadding because USPSA is useing it?

Count me in with Chriss, if you want to use this system let us either send in apps together and you put us on a squad and let us fine tune it using the system OR let us designate a master email address for you to send ALL the pins to and let one of us handle it.

The way it is being done now is a bit cumbersome when you have 4 to 8 people, living in different areas trying to get all together on a squad at the same time as other groups trying to do the same thing.

I don't even want to get started on the short notice and new, unknown to the competitor pins being used for the Nationals.

I'm not against new and different things. I'm not against making life easier for match staff. But you had to know this was going to be a problem from the getgo.

Okay then I'll just lock the post. Since the tone was not that USPSA sucked I felt that this rant didn't break that rule but since we seem incapable of just letting the hate be I am done with it.

-ld

-ld

Any questions ?

You missed one. The first one.

The Hate forum was created and is intended as a place to vent or rant, period. And while general or support-related comments are not prohibited, rebuttals specifically are. Meaning: If you don't agree with someone's rant - keep it to yourself.