Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14.5" intermediate gased barrel

bmiller

I saw were these were on sale at primary arms.  Does anyone have one of these?  Spinta had a 16" rifle gased barrel on sale as well.  Has anyone had one of these?  I am intrigued by the longer gas systems on these barrels, wondering if they actually function reliably.  

I use a 13.7" mid-length barrel from SMOS Arms with a JP 3-port comp pinned, it is simply amazing.  It is my softest shooting gun and very accurate.  I shot it out to 450yds the other day.  

I also have an Adam's Arms gun with a 16.5" rifle length gas piston.  The barrel is super accurate and light.  

I think the key to these long for barrel length gas systems is to run a low mass carrier and buffer and light buffer spring.  

I would not attempt a build on either of the barrels you mentioned, I think those are more suited to shooting suppressed.

Edited by CharlieD

That would depend on who made the barrel. Like the 16.5" rifle length barrels, 14.5" intermediates are a bit tougher to make reliable. I built a 14.5" intermediate ultralight bay gun that I shot Fallen Brethren with last year. It's more suited to bay style matches but it's absolutely a 3/4 MOA gun to 500 yd. I don't let it go past 1500 rounds between cleaning anymore though as it's a little sensitive once it gets filthy. As far as soft shooting goes it absolutely feels (not sounds!) like shooting a semi-auto pellet gun. I've cycled everything from full power M193 to light bay hoser loads through it. 

Mid-length? I think intermediate it a Knights Armament thing.

I have a LW BCM advertised as 14.5" (actually 15") mid-length gas barrel with M16 carrier and ST2 buffer, not a ton of rounds through it, maybe 2k, zero failures, very soft recoil impulse, lower than my heavy barrel 18" rifle gas, has a small single chamber brake on it. Light RL10x handloads to M855 doesn't matter.

I guess I didn't search far enough.

It's interesting, would probably be very smooth operating, might be finicky if you change loads often.

Not sure I'd pick it over the pretty well proven mid length.

After building two rifles to identical specs minus the gas length, I'll say the 14.5" intermediate was noticeably softer than the 14.5" midlength. Same brake, gas block adjustment, BCG and lower. Of course, that all might be due to the fact that the brake is well matched to that particular barrel. The same brake on an 18" rifle length gas system was not as soft as the 14.5" intermediate either. :rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

After building two rifles to identical specs minus the gas length, I'll say the 14.5" intermediate was noticeably softer than the 14.5" midlength. Same brake, gas block adjustment, BCG and lower. Of course, that all might be due to the fact that the brake is well matched to that particular barrel. The same brake on an 18" rifle length gas system was not as soft as the 14.5" intermediate either. :rolleyes:

Did 14.5" have more concussion towards the shooter?  Which barrel are you running?

Edited by bmiller

No, that one is not bad at all when you're shooting it. If you're off to the side you feel the directed gasses but not an awful concussion like some comps. It's way easier on the ears than a Titan or Rolling Thunder for example. Right now I have done basically a 180 from that build and run an 18" JP barrel in a ~10 lb rifle. The 14.5" gun is under 6 with optics. PM me if you're interested in specs on the 14.5" intermediate. 

49 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

PM me if you're interested in specs on the 14.5" intermediate. 

You might as well post it here, now I'm curious to know more about them. I assumed when I saw this thread that it was actually about mid length systems. Learn something new everyday...

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I noticed similar results with the barrels I'm using.  I'm using JP Comp, JP low mass bcg, JP SCS, and adjustable gas in both rifles.  The SMOS Arms 13.7" mid-length barrel Is softer shooting than the Stretch 16 intermediate barrel.  Both rifles weigh the same ~8lbs.  

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

What are your velocities in the 13.7" barrel?

I'd have to double check, but I believe 2750 with Freedom Munitions 55g.  I'm shooting it further than I intended to since it's been so accurate.  

On 7/6/2017 at 8:08 AM, bmiller said:

What are your velocities in the 13.7" barrel?

Went to the range to get more data on velocities of different ammo from the SMOS 13.7" and Stretch 16 barrels.  I was surprised by how little of a difference there was.  These are the average of 5 shots.

FM 55g new: 2921 vs 2949

FM Vmax 55g new: 2700 vs 2735

Stand 1 55g: 2768 vs 2827

Stand 1 68g: 2631 vs 2681

That's about what I expected. All my barrel length testing leads me to believe you can go 2" longer or shorter than a given length and see very little appreciable difference. 4 or more inches and it starts becoming noticeable. But not always, I've seen quality 16" barrels shoot a lot faster than cheaper 20" barrels. There is no rule of thumb to barrels lengths, only the chrono really knows. That's why I always laugh at people when they tell me their 18" barrel is way better than a 16" for the 3-4 MOA targets we see in 3 gun inside of 600 yards. The velocity difference is usually well inside the velocity deviation of the ammo most people use.

37 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

That's about what I expected. All my barrel length testing leads me to believe you can go 2" longer or shorter than a given length and see very little appreciable difference. 4 or more inches and it starts becoming noticeable. But not always, I've seen quality 16" barrels shoot a lot faster than cheaper 20" barrels. There is no rule of thumb to barrels lengths, only the chrono really knows. That's why I always laugh at people when they tell me their 18" barrel is way better than a 16" for the 3-4 MOA targets we see in 3 gun inside of 600 yards. The velocity difference is usually well inside the velocity deviation of the ammo most people use.

+1

8 hours ago, CharlieD said:

Went to the range to get more data on velocities of different ammo from the SMOS 13.7" and Stretch 16 barrels.  I was surprised by how little of a difference there was.  These are the average of 5 shots.

FM 55g new: 2921 vs 2949

FM Vmax 55g new: 2700 vs 2735

Stand 1 55g: 2768 vs 2827

Stand 1 68g: 2631 vs 2681

Thanks!