Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Customer Dis-service

racine

I don't know quite where to post this question so I'll start here. I could really use some experienced advice here. I bought a NEW barrel for my HK USP in 45 acp from a notable barrel maker last December. Upon receipt, it was noted to have barrel fouling but otherwise clean on the outside. Having only purchased barrels from KKM Precision I was optimistic about this well known maker and did not give the "fouled barrel" a second thought. I cleaned it and put it away for the day in the spring I would again bring out my HK. My question is, has anyone ever purchased a new barrel from anyone with barrel fouling? Aside from a new handgun which always has some fouling, I've never seen this. It is my mistake for not inquiring from the manufacturer about this, but trusting a known name I did and did so in good faith. Three months later, prior to being used, I again cleaned and inspected the new barrel for testing. This time I noticed some pitting just before the breech and was both stunned and disappointed. I called the maker, gave him my report and promptly sent the barrel in for their inspection. 3 weeks later the manufacture declares that the barrel is pitted and probably rusted after being shipped to me. Being that it shipped to a humid state and that it was perfect when it left their doors, it had to be my fault. I commented that the barrel had never been fired and that if it was my fault then it should have been pitted inside and out. I have to pay 50% of the original price more to get a replacement. Other than that he reposseses my paid barrel, charges me 10% restocking fee + shipping (which I've paid for both ways?) and sends me a check for the remainder.? Anyone run into this? What would be the best way to resolve this problem? Any constructive information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Racine

Any constructive information or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Racine

Be polite, even if you want to scream, and try to work it out with the barrel maker. In an ideal world, you'd put some of this in writing to start a paper trail. Can't work it out? Call your credit card company --- they may be able to help you resolve the matter ---- unless too much time has elapsed. Give it a try, in any event. Worst comes to worst ---- eat the loss, resolve not to do business with that manufacturer again, and don't order stuff until you're able to get it to the range for testing.....

racine,

You made the mistake of waiting three months. Manufacturers live by the creedo Cavet Emptor (buyer beware). If you would have contatced them right away and voiced your dissatisfaction with thier product, they may have been willing to correct the problem, but three months is stretching it.

However, if there is a problem with thier product, the company should be willing to make you (the customer) happy, or at the least be wiling to work something out with you. If this is not the case and you are still unhappy, I would take the advice of mpolans. Maybe others here have had the same problem with this company!

If it doesn't work out, how about posting the name of this barrel maker and save some others the grief you're going through?

Read the rules at the top of the Hate forum. The only reason this thread lives, is because it's generic. If the manufacturer is identified, this thread will disappear.

racine,

You made the mistake of waiting three months.  Manufacturers live by the creedo Cavet Emptor (buyer beware).  If you would have contatced them right away and voiced your dissatisfaction with thier product, they may have been willing to correct the problem, but three months is stretching it. 

However, if there is a problem with thier product, the company should be willing to make you (the customer) happy, or at the least be wiling to work something out with you.    If this is not the case and you are still unhappy, I would take the advice of mpolans.  Maybe others here have had the same problem with this company!

Your right, I should have tested and very carefully inspected the barrel immediately upon receipt. I trusted this company to send me a good barrel right off the bat. I just cleaned the "barrel fouling", thinking this was part of their testing procedure, lubed it and put it away till I again picked up my hk. The issue I take offense to is the maker insinuating that just transporting the barrel to a humid location is grounds for pitting to which I responded that a "neglected" barrel would have been pitted INSIDE AND OUT! Posting a query on an HK website has turned up a similar experience for another consumer with this same maker. The makers final response to me was "...I just decided to reposses this barrel, cut you a check for the barrel minus a restocking fee, etc. & shipping. That will be the end of it. We will no longer do business together from here on in..." That was the extent of the customer service. I emailed the maker back REQUESTING the return of my prepaid barrel in order to just cut my losses since he assured me it was usable for competition despite the pitting and that he was just going to re-stock/re-sell it anyway. Three weeks later a got a check for the full amount of the barrel with an exception statement extending the 30day return period for me based on the condition that the invoice nor his website made no mention of 30 days. A frustrating experience comes to a close but I consider myself lucky I got most of my money back.

Definitely Caveat Emptor when you order parts, I fix machine for a living and you would be amazed how many times we have to return a part because it is out of spec or bad to start with. <_<

Inspect the parts a soon as you receive them and check them for fit (exception Gunsmith fit parts make sure they are large in areas specified).

Good that you got most of your funds back, and hope you get what you want on the next parts you order.