Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup Powder

10mmdave

This past spring I had the barrel set back on a revo, I have been using Titegroup

for probably the whole life of this barrel and the erosion at the forcing cone was

really bad. This revo had nothing but 130 pf loads thru it for 99.9% of the time.

Bullets where mostly Westcoast plated with a few thousand Montana Golds

and now Zero jacketed.

I ask because my coveted 6.5 inch stock 627 barrel is now showing signs of

erosion (course it's .012 cylinder gap from the factory probably doesn't help)

Anyone else using Titegroup and seeing any issue ??

I still use TiteGroup in my 148 gr HBWC 650 fps PPC loads but found that Universal Clays burns more complete than TiteGroup in both my 627 and 625. I use Bullseye in my 625 for steel loads, it is dirtier on my stainless fonish but is still very accurate. I also only use the best in bullets though....Montana Gold 130 gr RN, 185 gr JHP, and 230 gr RN

(185 gr JHP @ 50 yds in my 625 are < 2" off a bench :-) www.montanagoldbullet.com They also support our sport better than any other bullet manufacturer!

Dave - I've got over 7k rounds of 4.1-4.3 grains of TG under a Zero 158 grain RNL (about a 135 PF) through my M67. I've got minor flame cutting on the top strap, but nothing noticeable in the forcing cone. I bought the gun used, so I don't know how much it was worn when I bought it.

Thanks for the info guys.

The guy who worked on the barrel setback also made and put on a new barrel

to another 627 and he did comment on how the new barrel was harder cutting than the other. I have a new (to me) 627 V8 that I'm going to be using for stock

stuff.

I like the consistantsy (sp) of titegroup but I am finding 231 to be more accurate

with the loads I'm trying now.

I also have some Bullseye loads to look at to.

Titegroup is an excellent powder but it is also known to have the highest content of Nitro among the double based powders (about 36% according to the Blue Press article). It is also known to burn rather hot compared to other powders. Are these two facts related? Dunno, but likely so.

Could the greater heat generated by TG be the cause of your throat erosion? If so, how about a switch to a cooler burning powder like the Single base powders from Vihta Vouri (single base = NO nitro content).

I did not know that Carlos, food for thought. I would have to assume the 2

together would add to my problems. Plus I always get more flash and flame with

jacketed/plated than with lead.

I have some Vit 320 to try but at the price I doubt I'll be going with that powder.

Power Pistol was cooling burning, I have that on the list to try with some heavy

bullets.

I'll have to look at burning temps closer, I stuck with TG because I liked the closer

fps spreads and lower SD numbers, BUT .....

I just did a test load that had 250 fps extreme spread, an SD of like 30 but put all

8 shots into less than a 1.5 inch group @ 25 yrds :blink:

Thanks again folks.

I use tightgroup in my ICORE loads which chronyed a mighty 140 at the IRC. There is much to recommend the powder. It burns clean at that level and is the cleanest of any going thru my reloading machine. That having been said, I am thinking of lowering the power level and switching to a moly bullet next year. Anybody use it with a moly bullet (Billy Bullets)? I understand high temps and a moly bullet can be a mismatch. If it is also damaging my gun (something I haven't as yet detected), I would switch powders.

I recently switched to Billy Bullets and have not been disappointed. Since I'm in Phoenix, the temperature doesn't appear to be affecting the bullets. I use Solo 1000, a very fast burning powder and have gotten groups of under 2 inches at 50 yards from my 627.

Thanks AZ. Just what I needed to hear. .38 or .38 super? I will be ready with a long colt load for next year's IRC. I couldn't believe my PF at this year's match. Did yours come out high? I was shooting with 4 ports and a comp chamber. Next year it is limited for me. I was really impressed by the Billy Bullet shape and the owner of the company.

Thanks AZ.  Just what I needed to hear.  .38 or .38 super? I will be ready with a long colt load for next year's IRC.  I couldn't believe my PF at this year's match.  Did yours come out high?  I was shooting with 4 ports and a comp chamber.  Next year it is limited for me.  I was really impressed by the Billy Bullet shape and the owner of the company.

At last years IRC my match load registered 136-138 pf at the IRC range and

126 pf at home. I'm from Masssachusetts by the way.

I use the same brand chrono as the guy checking the ammo, only no "coffin"

and only one set of screens.

My buddy clocked obver 140 if I remember right !

I'd dowload closer to 120 pf if I knew my match ammo would always register

higher at the match but can we really count on that ??

Is this a result of the different sea level ??

Everything is higher in California ??

A top competitor got dinged at 119 about 3 years ago and hasn't been back since. I haven't heard of someone not making it since. Anybody see a problem with high temperature Tightgroup and moly bullets?

I came out at 132 PF this year, same as always. Runs about 130 here but it's always a tad hotter at Morro Bay.

I've got a few Short Colt loads I've experimented with over the years and may try them again. I do know that you can make power factor with Unique and Red Dot in the 38 Short Colt without going over SAAMI specs. Most every other load is about 15 to 20 % over maximum in the manuals.

Underlug

Rudy Warren will make the 38/357/38super in whatever diameter you need from .355, .356, .357 and .358, just let him know what you need. I run .357 in the 135gr and 160gr bullets in my 38 super and 38/357 revolvers. The powder I use is VV-n310 and I cronied 135.3 pf at this years IRC. Powder charge is 3.7gr with the 135gr bullet in my 38 super.

Rudy's also has his web site up and running

www.billybullets.com

I met Mr. Warren at the IRC this year. Great guy. I want to use his .357 38 super bullet. It has a great shape. I was just wondering, in line with this thread, if anyone had any bad experiences using moly bullets with the high temperature Tightgroup powder. I will use his bullet. I may change powders. I was experimenting with long colt before the IRC and was getting a slight bulge at the bottom of the case. But, I was high on my .38 loads re power factor (140). I don't know exactly where I was on the long colt pf wise as my chrony stupidly forgot to duck. So, I just went with a straight .38 load this year. My gun was ported. Next year, I am shooting limited so it should be a lot easier. Thanks for any input.