Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can One Build a .308 AR Parts Gun?

ErikW

It is possible, but parts are not easily found. For what it's worth, we have an ongoing project to build precision lightweight .308 carbine top ends. We are testing different barrel contours, primarily in 16". The overall goal is to end up with a big brother to the RECCE carbines, and keep the overall weight under 7.5#. Oh, and sub-moa, cold to hot. Most of the interest is coming from our contract shooter clients but quite a few 3-gun afficionados are on the list as well.

Matt, you must be working out. Those DPMS guns are HEAVY!

There are at least 3 or 4 of the DPMS rifles here locally. The first thing that happens to every one of them is that they go to Shawn Carlock to have the barrels cut/turned down. Functionally, I've not heard of a single compaint from people about them. Can't say the same for the other brands of 308 AR's.

Speaking of the DPMS guns, I think it says a lot that George Gardner of GA Precision now builds his precision semi's on the DPMS platform.

As to pricing I have seen the 18" gun for as low as $800 and the 24" stainless for $875.

That's a pretty screamin deal for a ready to shoot rifle. If you want a little more on their performance scoop check out www.snipershide.com there are a few threads discussing them specifically.

As to whether or not DPMS will be selling the receivers, bolts, etc. I would assume it will be just a matter of time or maybe they already are?

Take care, Craig

They just sent me their most recent catalog and the only .308 parts I can find are: a steel upper receiver, A3 style upper receiver, two gas blocks, various railed float tubes, and a repair kit. No bolt and carrier. :(

I guess they are selling all they can produce, maybe trickling some parts to custom builders. Good for them.