Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Higher At 50yr

gravedigger

That sort of depends on what you are shooting. A fast light open bullet at 1450 fps may have a very flat trajectory. A slow heavy slug out of a 45 acp at 720 fps may have quite a drop.

Kevin C.

gravedigger,

That depends on your zero.

The Azone is 11 inches high. Unless you are zeroed at 10 yards and are slower than 300fps, you should get an A by sticking it in the middle and pulling the trigger.

FYI, A 124 Gr 38 Super at 1050fps drops 1.5" at 50 with a 25 yard zero. A 50 yard zero puts the same shot .5" high at 25 yards and about 1.5" low at 10 yards. At major velocity it is flatter.

For most iron-sighted pistols, if you zero so you're "dead on" (the bullets hit right on top of the front sight) at 15 yards, you'll be a little high at 25 yards and pretty close to dead on again at 50. And since the A zone is a foot or so tall, it's no big deal if you're off an inch or two at 50 yards.

be

Not to be rude, but how about if you try it and find out yourself?

There are a lot of variables to take into account and everyone's results will be different...

its possible that he doesnt have any way to practice a 50 yard shot...i know i dont.

Could be... In that case, if you can't practice 50 yard shots in the IPSC range/s you go to; I suggest you try a range where there's Bullseye or PPC. Even if you don't compete in those games, I think you can still bench rest (or freestyle) some shots to see how your gun hits.

I just got back from a Bullseye match where I shot my SA 1911. I was shooting a 200 gr LRN with 4.8 gr of WST. Velocity is in the 850 fps range. ( yeah, I'm a moron shooting 170 PF ammo at a target match :blink: ) I zeroed it at 25 yards off the bench before the match. So I knew it was on. At 50 yards at the match, there was not enough difference for me to tell. Of course in Bullseye you shoot one handed, but I was still punching holes in the black.

I zero my pistols at 25 yards and the other distances seem to fall into place just fine.

I have not done the measurements but for me, I am high at 15 and dead on at 25-poa. Becuase I have a tendency to shoot low sometimes, I place my sights at the shoulder level and rarely get out of the upper A zone at 50.

I did some 100 yd stuff at a steel plate recently, just eye balling the bullet dope. I did not hit the plate but a couple of times out of a bunch of shots but is was sure cool to see how far off I could get just by not paying attention to the trigger pull and grip.

My PPC gun will drop about 2-3" from 25 yds. to 50 yds. I hold dead on the X-ring in both stages, so I use a second setting on my rib for the 50 yd. line. This is with a 148 gr. HBWC at approx. 700 fps (3.2 gr. of W231). HBWC have just about the worst aerodynamics imaginable, so any bullet that's a little slicked up will fair better. With my USPSA gun (S&W 625, 230 gr. CMJ at @ 740 fps) the bullets drop very little at 50 yds. At 300 yds. they drop real bad, I had to hold about 10 feet above the tank (Army practice range) I was shooting at to get hits.