Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When did the RL 550 become the RL 550B?

I get this question often:

What is the difference between the RL-550 as opposed to the RL-550B.

The RL 450 became the RL 550 with the addition of the interchangeable Toolhead.

Then the RL 550 became the RL 550B with the addition of the Automatic Priming and Powder Measure Systems to the RL 550. It's "been the "B" for probably 18 -20 years.

Then, over the years, other changes were made to the RL 550B:

The Powder Measure system was changed from being spring operated to the current "Failsafe" system.

An electrical warning system was added to the Auto-Priming mechanism.

be

Brian,

I bought a 550 in the mid-80s, later upgraded it to a 550B and kept it until last September when I sold it and bought a 650 from you. My memory is that the 550 had the auto priming and powder measure system. The "B" update included the early primer warning system and the fail safe rod for the powder system. The powder measures were still spring-operated, with the linkage return system added several years later.

Can't remember fer'sure, but I too kinda remember it being the 550 with auto prime/powder and the B upgrade was the safety fluffs later. I got mine in early 1988 (still using it) and remember something about getting the upgrade parts free from Dillon when they were available.

I'm gonna go looksee what I can see from my press and from my records.

More later,

Brian,

I bought a 550 in the mid-80s, later upgraded it to a 550B and kept it until last September when I sold it and bought a 650 from you. My memory is that the 550 had the auto priming and powder measure system. The "B" update included the early primer warning system and the fail safe rod for the powder system. The powder measures were still spring-operated, with the linkage return system added several years later.

Actually that's what I thought as well, which wasn't what I was told. And, since the GM Troubleshooter wasn't in that day, I guess we'll just have to wait till he sees this thread.

:wacko:

On my 550 I replaced the crank, link arms, link arm pin and associated parts (see attachment). The new 550B parts are different than the old parts on my 550. The 550B link arms and crank have small holes in them (lubrication holes?) and the pivot rod (link arm pin) that goes through the crank is larger with smaller diameters on both ends while the 550 link arm pin was only one diameter.

post-3253-1118455623_thumb.jpg

It is quite common for an item to undergo "evolution" over time without the model numbering changing. If this was done we would probably be at the 550Z by now. This is probably an enormous headache for the support folks but change is inevitable and often for the better.

I believe the pin holes for lubrication are a very recent change. There is a post around here somewhere from Dillon about that change.

The RL450 was replaced by the RL550 in May, 1985. There RL550 had three primary improvements;the detatchable toolhead, automatic priming system,

and the automatic powder system. In April, 1985, several :ph34r: dozen RL450s were shipped with the detachable toolhead frame, as we had run out of the older solid frames, but didn't have the automatic powder and priming systems ready.

• 8 months later...